Getting a 17R4 as replacement from R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by orancanoren, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Mod BIOS then. The values from the BIOS themselves. You can design custom fan, set passive cooling to lower temps or switch to Active Cooling Policy, HWP states, HT on/off, Set iGPU memory and etc. For updating uCode i used UBU. Even I can upgrade IRST to 15.2 natively in BIOS and Use Dell 15 r3 drivers for max performance. But, I don't how to validate custom BIOS and even they need valid Signing key.
    Actually removing all telemetry from drivers does improve temps and helps keeping system very quiet and stable.

2. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    im not sure which programs allows you to do that.. UBU - you mean ubuntu ?? lol.. sorry im not good at programming languages.. well if you have done something, so PM me the mods you have tried.. ill try as well..

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I never was good at programing. UBU -> UEFI BIOS updater created by members of Win-raid.
    Problem is, I don't how to check BIOS if its safe or not? Can't risk the M/B bricking. So far, I managed to update the microcode and add some option to BIOS which was hidden. Intel GOP driver was not updated since UBU reported some errors with it being incompatible with Skylake.
    Don't feel bad, I'm working on getting some developer resource/white-papers, hardly I understood anything whilst reading.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    They can put lower limits for BD PROCHOT if Dell is bothered with too much complains about high temp and overheating. The lazy mans work!! Working always. They can also deny everything in firmware so you can't writing to the registers. Yoo are doomed!!

Vasudev likes this.
  5. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    they dont care for customers once they are done launching and sales is over... yeah they care a bit.. bug fixes etc.. but not the major faults in Hardware sides. flaws etc.. godamn cant they hire a proper team for RND.. so many freelancers willing to do mods, designs.. Dell Becoming like Hell to gamers.. Area 51 another disaster.. i rather build a threadripper custom built..

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  6. tungd678

tungd678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Really nice that you got a new one. I'm using 15R1 and also have a throttling when playing games. Do you think I should ask Dell for a replacement?

7. orancanoren

orancanoren Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I was out of warranty, outside of the country of purchase and I'm not even the official owner of this laptop and yet I got this laptop for free. To be fair, I've been contacting DELL for a year now and believe me this result wasn't an easy one to get but the 17r4 - at least the one I'm given - is free of problems and I still cannot believe the performance of this laptop. I'd definitely contact DELL at least for a replacement without issues.

8. tungd678

Reputations:
    I'm also out of warranty and I bought this machine from a reseller as I can't buy it directly from dell site. The only thing I have is the warranty from this reseller. They replaced my faulty screen, which is nice but they don't think throttling down to 0.8ghz is a machine fault and it's just normal as the laptop running hot. So I think I should buy the new warranty plan and ask Dell to fix/replace my lap.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. orancanoren

orancanoren Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Show your temperatures to them. The thing is, it is not the CPU that is running hot, it's the PCH and that's because of the faulty design of the laptop. Show your CPU temps (it shouldn't be above 80 C) to them and tell them it's not only you.

DELL replaced my motherboard and the issue still did persist. I had to deal with them a lot. Hell, I remember having almost a fight over the phone.

tungd678 and Vasudev like this.
  10. tungd678

Reputations:
    Thanks for your advice. Well, I just tried bios A08 and there's no cpu throttling like before, temp is still normal (under 70*C) and all cores run at 3.x ghz all the time but cpu usage is lower than before. Never seen this machine using cpu over 70% when gaming even with BF1.

Update: I was wrong. The cpu still throttle after 30 minutes when recoding the game.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.