Getting a 17R4 as replacement from R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by orancanoren, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm have toshiba also and was doing a 100 gb transfer... thing hit 86c. Guess I'll give them a call. I wonder if they can just send me one of those copper plates I see in some disassembly videos... how come these plates seem to be given out randomly for systems?

Vasudev likes this.
  2. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    even me.. new GTX1070.. haha.. thats a beast.. but i got a R2 replacement, with extra boosted specs.. from 970M to 980M 4GB to 980M8GB with 6700HQ and 16GB RAM instead of 8GB on the intitial one, along with 256GB NVMe SSD.. now i cant expect a R3...

Vasudev likes this.
  3. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    This is my PM951 Benchmarks, its not that bad, not that good, it gets overheated quickly even with thermal pads, due to no vent on older 15 R2/R3.. after overheating its a mess, it runs at super slow transfer speed, temps were around 80-90c Easily.. due to high ambient temps.. I head 960 Pro runs bit cooler.. or the crucial ones.. PM951 NVMe SSD.png

Papusan, Vasudev and orancanoren like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, don't buy 15 r3/17 r4 because of SSD overheat and worse CPU temps.
    I'm thinking of BIOS mod for 15 r2 enabling HWP, cTDP control in BIOS and latest microcode BA to fix HT bug. I enabled the said values in BIOS, don't know if it actually works or not. Another hurdle is signing BIOS, dunno how I will achieve that?

5. liviu2007

liviu2007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    do not get worried.i tested mine with 100gb game iso transfer. I have transferred from 4tb Samsung evo to nvme ssd Samsung 960 evo.ive got 70 degree temps near the end so I guess is normal at those temps while transferring large files.

Vasudev and youed like this.
  6. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    i will not buy any laptops. im making new designs on my own.. just for fun.. regarding BD prochot, its the worst thing intel brought to laptop chipsets.. PCH cannot be passively cooled on R1/R2 models, especailly with high ambient, and that triggers signal to CPU... to lock it down to 800mhz.. with latest intel ME firmware update and driver update throttle point is 84c..
    http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
    Ive already Updated to Lates 11.7 ME firmware.. and regarding microcode update, i dont think dell will publish any bios for older systems.. unless we force them and let them know in social media.. they can even change BD proc Temp Limits.. but i doubt they will.. Signing BIOS.. a big heck thing which is almost impossible..

Vasudev likes this.
  7. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can disable bd prochot in ThrottleStop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  8. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    Thanks, Yes i know that.. what im trying to say is they should give a hardware level fix or atleast BIOS update with such fixes..

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    IIRC, the PCH will trigger throttling when it touches 85C and for cpu TT trip point is set at 95C.

VICKYGAMEBOY likes this.
  10. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    Yes ur right, 84-85c, i tried using shadowplay ON and shadowplay OFF, due to load on drives when recording etc, PCH Temp difference around 3-5C.. this is with ambient of 26C.. so imagine a 30C + ambient.. surely this will trip.. i modded with almost every single thing, but sadly ambient plays big role, only connecting the pch die with a copper strip to the end of heatsink fins makes difference.. Passive Aluminium Ultra thin heatsink doesnt work for me.. it keeps temps cool for sometime, but it doesnt have vent to dissipate the heat.. sad..

Vasudev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.