Getting a 17R4 as replacement from R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by orancanoren, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orancanoren

orancanoren Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,

After having my 17R2 (4720HQ/980m) with severe CPU throttling issues for 2 years I was told that I'm being sent a replacement laptop with the following specs:

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
    - 17.3 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits, Enabled
    - 16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz; up to 32GB
    - 256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
    - 240W AC Adapter
    - Lithium Ion (99 Wh) Battery
    - NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
    - Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

I've already confirmed the system and it's expected to arrive in 4-6 weeks. Is there anything I should know about the system before it arrives? I looked up and couldn't find any throttling or whatsoever. I'm really looking forward to finally have a non-throttling system.

Thanks in advance!

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Check for temperature core differential issue, SSD heating issue esp. Toshiba ones.
    Overall good package. You live in the US with 2 yrs warranty?

3. orancanoren

Reputations:
    I've seen a few threads on this matter, it was a bit of a disappointment to see that Alienware still has design flaws but I reckon that the issue doesn't cause CPU throttling or at least the CPU can be undervolted to bypass throttling. I hope it's not a significant issue.

Couldn't find much info on this one yet but in the worst case I hope buying a new, good SSD would solve the problem

Actually no, I reside in Turkey and the laptop was a gift to me (so I am not even the official owner); but I've been contacting DELL for a full year now! They tried replacing many parts but it didn't resolve the problem and I'm told that they shouldn't actually do this but they considered my situation as a very rare case as I've understood so they are doing this for customer happiness.

4. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    really really nice !!!!! i am jealous!!!!

VICKYGAMEBOY and Vasudev like this.
  5. orancanoren

Reputations:
    Thank you :) I am also very happy and excited. I'm just hoping that it won't be another letdown by DELL. So far I've seen a few problems with the laptop but they seem to be minor, that is they don't cause throttling (I'm hoping I'm not wrong)

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As far as SSD is concerned, ask them if its Samsung PM961 or Hynix ones, these SSD don't throttle much under heavy load. You can even ask for SSD replacement if the current one is Toshiba, they would give you a Samsung or Hynix or LiteON SSDs.

7. orancanoren

Reputations:
    Finally got my laptop. I can't believe what I've been missing. No throttling, no core temp differential, minor backlight bleed which I don't care at all, SSD seems to heat up to mid 60's but that doesn't seem troublesome. Eye tracking is awesome. All is good! Very good product.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. liviu2007

liviu2007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    enjoy your new laptop.ssd temp at 60 degrees is not too bad nut not very good either! all my ssd's stay under 40 at idle and goes to max 50 at full load. enjoy!

Vasudev likes this.
  9. orancanoren

Reputations:
    Thanks, and true that. If I run into any problems I'll probably get a fast NVMe SSD as a replacement. The SSD itself is not very fast

Vasudev likes this.
  10. youed

youed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wait a second, i have a toshiba drive and i just checked the temps, i'm getting around 70 degrees max. Should i be worried? Do you think Dell would replace it if i brought it up or is it running "within spec"?

Vasudev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.