Get a clevo P751tm1-g with i5-8400 and 1070 now or wait for 1170?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ciellia, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Ciellia

Ciellia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all!

Recently, my P650rs' GPU broke, and since it's out of warranty, my only option would be trade-in at my local reseller. After the experience with non-mxm P650rs, I decide to just go big with a P751tm1-g.

However, I heard rumours that the next generation of nvidia GPU will be released soon. In this case would it be better to just wait for the next gen of GPU? I'm not a graphic demanding person, but if I'm buying a new system I'd at least hope it could last a bit longer for playing 3A titles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Considering the 1070 is alright for 4k med, 1440p high, 1080p Ultra, you'll be fine for quite a while unless games decide to suddenly get extremely GPU depending

3. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its pretty difficult to know when nVidia will release new GPUs, they never announce things until the last minute. Later this year is a possibility, but I think they will just wait until AMD releases their new GPUs. If the new GPUs are even made on MXM cards, its possible you'll be able to upgrade if they follow the same form factor as Pascal, but who knows if they will? Nobody has any idea on the performance gains either, could be 10% or could be 50% (though I doubt that).

If you are happy to wait, then consider waiting, but remember that it will probably be a few months after release before Clevo get any MXM GPUs available in their machines.

Ultra Male and Encryptonite like this.
  4. Encryptonite

Encryptonite Newbie

Reputations:
    While you could wait and see if there's any new GPU coming, you could also be waiting for an even longer time to come as we just don't know when it will happen as of right now. I went with the "in the now" ideology because I wanted to experience it as soon as I can and not worry about it. Technology progresses fast and not always we have a linear path to what's coming next, especially with laptops like this.

The longer you wait, the less fun you could be having; that being said, if you decide to wait for an extended period of time, you may eventually give in due to lack of and resort to buying an older generation card, therefore, even closer to when a supposedly new GPU will release. That's why I chose what I did. Hope you find your answer!

Arrrrbol likes this.
  5. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you really need portability? If you don't, you'll be better off building a desktop. You could build a decent system with a Ryzen 5 2600 and a gtx 1070 or a placeholder gpu for $1000 - $1200, while using your P650 on the go. A decent DTR will cost well over $2000. You could sell your P650 and use your remaining money from your budget to a buy a decent $800 laptop that is actually portable like the Lenovo Ideapad 720s. A desktop + ultrabook setup will beat a DTR setup any day of the week in my eyes.

6. yeoldegamer1979

yeoldegamer1979 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    https://gizmodo.com/nvidia-ceo-says-new-gpus-wont-be-available-for-a-long-t-1826569249

7. man4mopar

man4mopar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. Angryoldman

Angryoldman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also do you really want to get one of the first batches of the 11 series without really knowing the performance gains? Guaranteed performance from the change in the memory but I remember in the past Nvidia putting out systems that were the same just with newer speeds of ram. I would have to go back and look at them to see which they were but I do remember them reskinning the video cards.

9. Jaces9900

Jaces9900 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    so what is the difference between the p750tm1 and the p751tm1?

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Basically no difference, just the keyboard.

(P750 top, P751 bottom):

[​IMG]