GenTechPC Questions

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Levi K, Jun 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Levi K

Levi K Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My Asus Zephyrus M died in a flood a month ago, so I've been on the hunt for a new laptop. My Zeph never ran cool like the reviewers said, my man Bob Of All Trades even had me all over the thing pre-purchase. But that is nobodies fault but ASUS. Clean slate. Found I want the Clevo P775TM1-G RTX 2070 model, it ticks every box. it cools well, no compromise cpu power, great screen, speakers are decent, RJ45, the list goes on. With my student discount, an i5 9600k, 2070, no ram or storage (they survived the flood). I'm at $1973 USD. I can handle that. So to make a long story short, wanted to ask if anyone has has the RTX versions of the Clevo P775, how they cool, and what gpu clocks they've achieved, and also more about GenTechs Fujipoly services, they're on sale for 1 cent right now, but I worry ill run into more cooling issues, my last 2 laptops have not been good to me, (GM501, AW 15R3) I really really want to not worry about cooling once and for all.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    When it comes to Clevo's, you really must get one from a Prema partner so you can have more control over tuning the machine and eliminate nonsensical throttling.

3. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gentech has good service but I can't say first hand. I will say HIDEvolution is not where to go though. My experience wasn't good.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

4. Levi K

Reputations:
    Ended up buying from GenTech, would love the Prema bios, but wasn't willing to spend an extra 400 bucks. So if @Prema is here, I'll paypal up to 20 bucks for a p775tm1-g bios

hmscott likes this.
  5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Only prema partners get the modded sBIOS, no member will ever have it again.

6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Prema gets a lot of free promotion here.

but there are upwards of 10s of thousands of people that can unlock a clevo bios. Many people literally taught themselves to do it with no experience and did it within a week themselves.

Is unlocking the clevo bios different than the alienware bios?

No its just in fewer machines to test its best that they have the machine... . But actually clevo has switched their bios to the same company alienware uses now.

It is a little weird too because on the clevo part of this forum there are literally like dozens of people who edit their own clevo bios but he has some kind of propaganda.

and he doesnt do it on the side so he can sell the prema bios but plenty of people can. its actually something most gamer laptop communities do for free.
    In europe theres another reseller who unlocks the bios themselves and i believe eurocomm does.

You dont have to have a computer science degree to do it

you definitely dont need prema to do it and he wont do it he has marketed bios unlocking to resellers. good for him but post of tech power, clevo bios unlock model youll have it done that day.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  7. Levi K

Reputations:
    Funnily enough Im getting a Network Administrator degree right now, half way through my Cisco courses. I guess I just wouldn't know where to start. Considering I don't have the thing yet. I admit I may have jumped the gun, but where does one start? HEX editing is never fun:(. Baked has a bios on the tech inferno forum. I'll probably end up with that. He seems to be reputable.

8. mnd99

mnd99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    May I ask what was your bad experience with HID? Who do you recommend that you have had first hand experience with?

9. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    TLDR: HIDEvolution just messed up my cooling mods and the laptop had trackpad issues. XoticPC had no issues with their mods. That was several years ago though.

----------

My experience with HIDEvolution wasn't good. They're super friendly when I'm making a purchase but when I received my modded Razer the cooling mods I had them perform kept going downhill, in addition to that the trackpad kept flickering so to speak. The cursor jumped around a lot.

They kind of didn't wanna work with me and when I asked for a refund due to their fault they still charged me a 10% restock fee despite it being their fault and their website says specifically if it's HID's fault no restock fee.

XoticPC is the only one I have first hand experience with, but that was in like 2012 roughly when I bought a modded MSI Slim.

At the time I was frustrated at XoticPC for taking so long to get me the laptop but in hindsight I'm glad they did because I had no issues with it when I finally got it. And when I say "took so long..." I mean it was the standard amount of days because I didn't pay for rush. So my expectations then were foolish. I was younger what can I say.

But yeah modded MSI from XoticPC back in the day was fine, even sold to a co-worker a couple years later.

I went Apple as the result of the sale until recently. Which is what caused me to want a high quality build laptop. Which is why MSI now put me off and why I wanted Razer.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

10. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I bought 2 sagers from xotic pc. a sager is a clevo dont get me wrong theres one thing about what they do is they stress test the system before it goes out. I only got it from xotic pc because of taxes, however gen tech also sells the sagers meaning they dont assemble them.

xotic pc does take a long time too yes.

I never saw a sager branded clevo have a heating problem, but ive seen a lot of people who paid extra for cooling mods have a heating problem like the reseller doesnt even test it. Im not giving an example i just went through owners threads in clevos.

I had a conversation with several sales reps of clevos and sagers many years ago and I didnt exactly see enough difference to pay any more necessarily but theres an advantage to doing it exactly like that, a reseller of sagers with the warrantee which is what just a year nothing usually breaks.
    everyother place has its own reputation and could disapear. Whats weird is i believe the company I talked to about sagers who sold me about sagers went out of business and that guy is with hid evolution who sells clevos now.

hid evolution is relatively new honestly ive seen several clevo resellers go out of business just in the years between the first and the next one

btw its not advertised but xotic pc is indeed a prema partner.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019