Genesis G70: South Korea's first 3-Series/C-Class competitor

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Thoughts? I think they nailed the design inside and out, but the real test will be how it drives. And whether brand snobs will be willing to buy something from Hyundai's new sub-brand; the company's quality and fit-and-finish is good, but both Hyundai and Kia are still working on shedding their "buy us if you have bad credit" reputation from a decade or two ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comparison chart of specs courtesy of AutoBlog:

[​IMG]

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/15/genesis-g70-vs-bmw-audi-mercedes-infiniti/

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That is one of the most derivative car designs I've ever seen. The infotainment screen is straight out of a C-Class; the steering wheel, instrument panel, and rear end are from the Chrysler 200; the rear 3/4 is Maserati Ghibli; and the front end is Lexus IS.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I don't disagree (except for the front end and the Lexus IS), but early Lexuses were unapologetically derivative of Mercedes-Benz, and frankly, the compact sport sedan market is so mature by now it's hard to make something radically different without it being intentionally stupid-looking, like the Essential Phone widow's peak.

As for the front end, I personally see 3-Series, not Lexus IS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    The whatchmacallit (cockpit, dashboard, driver's seat, etc.) looks kinda weird.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The lower quarter (where the fog lights are) looks straight out of a current IS to me. In any case, this car is going to be a complete non-starter. Hyundai totally botched the launch of Genesis as a standalone brand, retail sales of the rest of the company's products are tanking, and the revolving door of North American executives continues to spin unabated.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I don't know anything about how successful or unsuccessful the Genesis brand rollout has been. Let's just say that the nearest Lexus dealer to me is a six hour round trip away, Audi is eight hours, and Infiniti ten. And our local BMW dealership's runs radio ads touting their excellent selection of used Ford and Chevy trucks (no joke).

As for Hyundai's declining sales, I wonder how much of that is cannibalism by their sister company Kia. A decade ago Kias were a tiny niche brand for people with no credit; nowadays they seem as common to me as any import brand (once again, I'm in a rural red state community, not the San Francisco Bay area).

I don't find the G70 unique, but I do find it an attractive combination of popular design elements right now, and I like the lack of snootiness associated with the brand compared to, say, BMW or MB.

7. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Something's actually giving me a Mazda vibe but I can't put my finger on what.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
  9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Jarhead and Mitlov like this.