General M18x Issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by The1TruJok3r, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boosted

boosted Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    CAP didn't seem to help unfortunately... still getting desktop corruption just using firefox and over lunch I left the laptop and came back to all sorts of fun white square patterns littered across my desktop. Switched it to IGP and I don't get the problem so I'll place a call to CS this afternoon to get it worked out.

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I still hope it can be extended to 5hr.

3. The1TruJok3r

The1TruJok3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    man boosted that sucks. What if you kick it out of crossfire? Still get the issue? Of course if it's the main non xfire card I'm sure you would as this definately sounds like it's a hardware issue. Good luck with tech support.

4. boosted

Reputations:
    If I kick it out of Xfire everything seems to function fine and there's no problems. GPU2 seems to be the culprit as I can't pull any diagnostics from it so if I use GPU-Z or Afterburner it won't show me it's memory speed, clock speed or anything when it's in Xfire mode. Card 2 also struggles to maintain 30-40% when running benchmarks that should see much better scaling and once taxed the card just barfs and corrupts my screen.

This will be the second time I've been burned with AMD cards after my G73 5870m fiasco so I may return and wait until June when the rumored Nvidia options roll out.

5. JTOverath

JTOverath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know back in the m17x R2 days sometimes issues like this were the crossfire cable. Probably easier to call Dell then to try and tear apart a brand new laptop though.

6. boosted

Reputations:
    It could be the crossfire cable or the display cable on the motherboard... the OS is getting the right signals as I emailed myself a print screen in the corrupted state and it captured everything fine with no corruption so there's an issue from what the OS sees to what's being shown to me but I'm not about to tear out my screen on Day 1 :)

7. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Have you changed the color controls in CCC? If so, reset them back to default and see if it fixes it. Mine had a similar distortion AFTER I calibrated it and the spyder 3 elite software actively uploaded the LUT into video memory but only during 3dmark 11. When I run it on default, it doesn't happen.

8. boosted

Reputations:
    Nope no colour changes at all. I popped the factory drive in with everything stock out of factory and it still wouldn't remain stable and was artifacting.

9. JTOverath

JTOverath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hhhhmmmm my system locked up a bit ago. Seems fine now though.

10. jfbarea

jfbarea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Te microphone of the screen don't work :( Your micros work correctly ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.