General M18x Issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by The1TruJok3r, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The1TruJok3r

The1TruJok3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since the M18x has landed and we are now digging into things I'd like to start a central place to post any M18x issues or quirks noticed and if possible the fixes to them. If you find a fix please post it and I'll update the thread. I'll try to keep up and have the running tally of issues and fixes. If there are multiple fixes I'll add them to each issue.

I'll start by posting 3 issues I've noticed on the default install from Dell.

1. Problem:
    When running 3dMark 11 in basic the screen defaults to 720p but the screen does not run full screen. It does not use the scaling options and simply is ran in a smaller window

Fix
    Driver issue. Apply fix for problem 2 and this will resolve problem 1.

2. Problem:
    AMD Reference Drivers do not install over Dell drivers or from a fresh install.

Fix
    Desinstall Dell driver and download the full AMD driver (93mb) --> http://www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/mobile/1..._64_dd_ccc.exe (Tnx to jfbarea)

3. Problem:
    Intel Wireless 6300 connecting to wireless N routers at 130mbs.

Fix
    Under the Properties for your 6300 adapter select the Advanced Tab. Under the property for 802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4 change from 20Mhz only to Auto. (With Dlink Dir655 I went from 130mbs to 300mbs and my file transers doubled in speed on wireless)

4. Problem:
    Intel iGPU not available or not working after installing a fresh copy of Windows 7.

Fix
    Please see this forum link. (Tnx to BatBoy)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/7500409-post4.html

5. Problem:
    Crucial M4 has stuttering issues or very poor performance.

Fix
    Please see this forum link. The issue lies with Intel and their power saving scheme for their RST drivers. This is really not a crucial issue.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/578505-m4-xps-17-l702x-blue-screen.html

6. Problem:
    Cheap plastic bottom screw retaining holes can crack or break easily.

Fix
    This fix is more common sense but I noticed when upgrading the laptops memory how fragile the bottom plastic screw retaining holes were. Normally you will see some type of metal reinforcement laid in the plastic to ensure over tightening isn't an issue but one small twist too much will most certainly break or crack these retention holes. So when upgrading be overly cautious when putting back in your screws.

2. JTOverath

JTOverath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For 1 isn't there usually a setting in the CCC for screen scaling?

3. jfbarea

jfbarea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1. Problem:
    When running 3dMark 11 in basic the screen defaults to 720p but the screen does not run full screen. It does not use the scaling options and simply is ran in a smaller window

Fix
    With AMD drivers and clean install of windows, I saw in fullscreen.

2. Problem:
    AMD Reference Drivers do not install over Dell drivers or from a fresh install.

Fix
    Desinstall Dell driver and download the full AMD driver (93mb) --> http://www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/mobile/11-5_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

4. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  5. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Question: When in the bios does it say integrated gfx not detected? Cuz it does for me.

6. The1TruJok3r

Reputations:
    Joker the Bios will show that the integrated gfx is not detected because the iGPU is integrated in the sandy bridge processor now. I'm guessing that is why when you hit FN F7 to activate it you have to reboot. I also noticed when I did this it was what I would call a DEEP reboot where the system almost looks like it's shut off. My guess is it's activating the iGPU at the bios level because after you get the DEEP reboot hit F2 and then you will notice that the integrated gfx goes from not detected to Sandy Bridge.

Interesting stuff indeed. I'm still up loading games and benchmarking. How are you coming along?

7. Seblock

Seblock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, Ive read some complaints about the problem between Crucial M4 and Sandy Bridge laptops. If there's somebody already experienced this issue on the M18x, please feel free to post some detail as well as the solutions. Thanks for sharing. :(

8. miahsoul

miahsoul Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait, so you CAN run on integrated only, just you have to set it on start?

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yup, 5-6hrs :)

10. The1TruJok3r

Reputations:
    I have my M4 in mine now and have 0 issues. I did apply the reg fix as posted but after that the intel low power is disabled and the SSD runs like a champ with 400+ reads and 200+ writes and 0 lag or stutter. This thing is screaming fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.