GeForce NOW

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by thegreatsquare, Feb 3, 2020.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    oh crap yeah I had a few beer, didn't even notice I typed still shot lol funny......yeah a moving still funny :p

sorry yeah its just two pictures taken with fraps 1080p 50mib/s 60fps maxed just shows what it generally looks like..

im done for the night need to sleep

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Even with some artifacts, being able to play a game on a simple ultrabook is pretty enticing. I don't think anyone is sitting here thinking it's going to be as good as having a decent dedicated GPU, but for what it is.. sounds good to me.

I may try one of them just to see how it goes. Probably right now with world events what they are causing internet bandwidth to be a little strained is not the best time.

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah like my expectations are pretty low after trying on live...but im impressed by it and people should really check it out to see how it looks and plays instead of judging a product they have not tried...

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I didn't remember that you had to login to Steam in order to play a game, and then I also remembered why I got annoyed by it when I couldn't paste my ridiculous password into it from my password manager. Hard close, I'll try it when they figure out how to transfer the clipboard.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah its actually pretty neat if all you have is a light thin laptop with no graphics card, works suprisingly well. I hope they fix the bug where it lags./freezes for a few seconds here and there

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    its really impressive tbh

Ok so geforce now maxes games at 1080p, but image quality is really looking like 720p or 900p with a tiny bit of input lag, but still.....it lets you play games that were otherwise impossible to play even at 800x600...and the experience isn't half bad

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well thats certainly good news.

Your post reminded me of geforcenow so I just installed it and booted up the witcher 3 for a minute and I hate to always be promoting it when everyone else is like meh but it looks really good I mean really good. lag has improved since I tried it 6 months ago and image quality is up. If you only have an ultrabook then I guess this is the best way to get your game on.

as for power I tested out ghost wl and with geforce now i got 50fps average with benchmark and with my 1060 i got 36fos average so I guess its a pointless service if you have a gtx 1070 or better

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  10. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have it installed on my laptop now (X1C6). I somewhat gave up on the eGPU for ease of use (I still use it - Lenovo Thunderbolt Graphics dock with its integrated BGA GTX1050).

It doesn't have every game I wanted to play, but for some games such as Destiny 2 - where I'm not interested enough to install keep an 80GB+ game installed and updated, streaming it has been pretty nice. I probably wouldn't play a competitive shooter FPS or a faster RTS on this, though I'd have to try it out first.

I think that's the primary draw - trying it out first. I don't have to install anywhere from 20GB to 100GB+++ just to play one game. I also don't have to dump out a lot of heat in the middle of summer :D

I still like local gaming a bit better, w.r.t. performance and some other considerations (local "ownership" of the files, for some launchers - GOG).

I may be a bit more biased against local gaming recently, if only because my current GPU has the worst blower implementation I've heard. Inconsistently loud and raucous, to the point where I cannot hear my friends, even with headphones on! It will just ramp up to 4000RPM+++ at will, even with a custom fan curve (of which, the max I can set is ~2600RPM - so this is some firmware level nonsense that I cannot touch). I'm half tempted to go watercooling (GPU-only) next gen, if I stick with ATX. If not, it will be my first real foray into non-blower cards.

saturnotaku likes this.