GeForce NOW

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by thegreatsquare, Feb 3, 2020.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Instead of using NVIDIA's godawful search to see what games are supported by GFN, go here: https://gfnlist.com/

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The main problem for Geforce now is that many publishers have pulled Nvidia's ability to offer their games through Geforce Now, and it's continuing to happen. Nvidia isn't in control of the games, and it's happening so rapidly that Nvidia can't keep up with their list of games.

Nvidia used to have an actual list you could scroll through and see what was available, now that's gone because they said they couldn't keep up with the updates. I don't see how the other method is any different except it's not quite so visible how many games have gone and how few are left.

Nvidia responded to the user complaints about games disappearing:

Cory@NVIDIA
    "Hi everyone, I want to take a moment to answer some questions we’ve received about game availability on GeForce NOW.

1) Why do you remove games from GeForce NOW? Do you have to?

Games on GeForce NOW can come down temporarily while we perform maintenance, or indefinitely at a partner’s request.

Some publishers may choose to remove games before the Founders trial period ends. Ultimately, they maintain control over their content and decide whether the game you purchase includes the ability to stream it on GeForce NOW.

2) Are more games going to be removed? Will they ever come back?

Similar to other digital service providers, some games may go. As Founders’ 90-day trials start coming to an end, game removals should be few and far between.

We can’t say which ones just yet, but we do anticipate some games that have come down will return to the service. And new games will be added to GeForce NOW each week. Stay tuned for announcements.

3) You’re not going to have any games left!

I mean, first off, that’s not a question. :)

Countless developers and publishers are running with the opportunity to expand the number of gamers who can play their games by using GeForce NOW. We have hundreds of thousands of members playing their favorite games on GeForce NOW. We support the top free-to-play games like Fortnite, League of Legends, Warframe, and more. We just announced Cyberpunk 2077 will be available on GeForce NOW the day it’s released, with ray tracing enabled. And there are plenty more that we’re working to onboard as quickly as possible, including new additions next week.

4) What can I do to help bring games back to GeForce NOW?

Honestly, you can let the world know. Share how excited you are about GeForce NOW on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, Imgur, etc. Talk about the games you want to play because, now that you have GeForce NOW, you’ll have the power to play them.

But do so respectfully. There’s no malice here. Put down your pitchforks, because anger and toxicity only make things worse.
    Thanks!"
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...343774/a-quick-qa-about-games-on-geforce-now/

And that's why as it sits now GFN's gaming model won't work long term as there is no stability in the game offerings. At any time a publisher can pull the games.

Nvidia's should have come up with a solution before they went public with their service. I'm surprised after all those years that wasn't worked out before release.

It's not clear what will work long term, perhaps game stores can offer the service from Stadia or GFN or Microsoft as an added service fee that gets shared with the publishers?

Just getting it working technically as Stadia and GFN are doing is really enough for now, to get the technology perfected to offer as a service. It's new and cutting edge, it's a problem to solve unto itself.

It will be interesting to see how Nvidia solves this game sourcing problem for their service.

The same days as that note above:

Bethesda Softworks games on GeForce NOW
    FEB 2020 NVIDIA STAFF Cory@NVIDIA
    "Please be advised most Bethesda Softworks titles will be removed from the GeForce NOW service today. Wolfenstein Youngblood will remain for all members. Founders members can continue to experience the game with RTX On."

A bit of positive news...

Games Update 2/25/2020
    FEB 2020 NVIDIA STAFF Cory@NVIDIA
    Hi everyone, happy to share that the following games are rolling out now on GeForce NOW:

• DAEMON X MACHINA
    • Fantasy General II
    • For The King
    • Neverwinter
    • Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem (from 2/14 announcement)

Games can take a little while to propagate across all servers, but will be available on the service soon."

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have my doubts anyone will be able to do this based on how publishers were treated for the EGS stuff.

hmscott likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Those wounds were entirely self-inflicted. With Bethesda pulling most of its catalog, this would have been a prime opportunity for Ubisoft, or heaven forbid, EA, to earn some good will by publicly supporting the platform. Ubisoft especially since they seem to have the largest catalog available on GeForce Now, and they've committed several games to Stadia as well.

5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Like I had a 1060 laptop traded it for a mx150 laptop sold it for a igpu yoga 920 and expect to game via Microsoft stadia and nvidia streaming and get a egpu for other games...this is the future

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    limited game selection now.

I just tried it out again a month later and the image quality is alot better as is latency.

impressive feat in less than 1 month

hmscott likes this.
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I DONT care about opinions I care about facts: here is a pic of me playing project cars the most demannding game geforce has as I have settings maxed and im playing at 1080p on a 1080p display notice how sharp it is and how there is no artifacting or pixelation or lag or anything wrong with it, this is not stadia folks

https://imgur.com/gPCH2IC

and

witcher 3 maxed out 60fps

https://imgur.com/dhejC17

no degradation in image quality even with a still picture

edit I always try to be on the bleeding edge of tech and realized early this was the future so I traded my gaming laptops for a 2 in 1 ultrabook yoga 920 rebranded and am happy with the results. crysis 2 and 3 run fine with the igpu and games that are not on geforce now can be downloaded and played, im not saying its the best im saying that I can game on my couch unconnected for 10 hours with max settings and no lag or image degradation.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You do realize the irony of this statement, right? Compression artifacts are more evident in motion. ;)

killkenny1 and saturnotaku like this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    that was in motion. like the car was moving and i took a still shot.

like if i was getting lag and or artifacting i would not be talking highly of it, not everyone will get my results but in the near future they will.

edit. isn't it obvious the car was moving in that picture, and you got two likes for not even checking the picture before discussing the iq

like one picture was obviously still, and one moving....no compression artifacts, so in some cases your statement may be false. nothing is absolute.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  10. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I will let you sink that in :D ;)