GeForce GTX 480M

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by fl0yd13, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fl0yd13

fl0yd13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can i put a GeForce GTX 480M in my m15x?

GeForce GTX 480M

Or is it not compatible? or doesn't fit?
    If it cant is there a chance it can with a new bios update?

2. miahsoul

miahsoul Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pretty sure the M15x doesn't have enough juice to use the 480M. Maybe with a new mobo and M17x adapter, but who would wanna do that? But if you were able to find a way for the M15x to get have enough power to run it and if there was a new BIOS that supports it, then you might be in business.

3. Zswickliffe

Zswickliffe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If DELL couldn't release the 5870 on the M15x due to "restrictions" do you think that a card with literally twice the power consumption (100W compared to the 5870's mild mannered 50W) would ever make it safely into our systems? We were able to put 5870s into our computers because the difference between the 5850 and the 5870 is so small, and the only reason DELL wouldn't do it is because with their crappy thermal paste they were able to overheat the system, or at least bring it to the brink of overheating. Now go ahead and DOUBLE that risk and you have yourself the 480M. Just my two cents but we will never see it in our computers. Not to mention the BIOS doesn't support it.

4. miahsoul

miahsoul Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I heard the 480M runs perfectly cool despite the 100W power consumption rating. Pretty sure the only problem with the 480M is the power consumption level.

5. Zswickliffe

Zswickliffe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm sorry, I did a bad job wrapping what I was saying up. I was in a rush this morning haha. I don't know what the temps are, I was going to continue talking about the 480m and say that the M15x wouldn't be able to provide enough power for it. I just ran out of time. :p

6. xeroxide

xeroxide Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    according to some places where they've been calling it the "grillforce 480m" i'm sure they'll disagree with you. judging by the fact that it requires an extra heatpipe/sink than the 280... yeah you get the idea. but for the amount of power it has, yeah pretty awesome.

i'm curious if they'll put the 460m on the m15x however. since that should be more close to the 65/75 watt limit.

7. miahsoul

miahsoul Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm no Nvidia fan, but I heard that it did run cool, but now I think it is probably because of that extra heatsink pipe which I didn't know about. :p

8. cubankid17

cubankid17 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well thank you everyone in thos post i just found my new project =) oooo all the modding i could do and support the m15x community

9. Jstarnino

Jstarnino Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    imagine dual 480m's in a M17x-r2 :eek: :eek:

you'll need a desktop 500w powersupply at that point Lolll

its fun to wish.

10. cubankid17

cubankid17 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it may be fun to wish but its way funner to try..im going for the m15x 480m mod =) as soon as i can afford it maybe ill mess around with the heatsink though and get a 480m test it out on mine..where would i buy the 480m??