GeForce Driver 352.86 WHQL {DO NOT USE DEGRADED PERFORMANCE BY 50%}

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I really like Shadowplay and use it frequently for video capture. It's amazing and I am glad I have it, too. But, I'd give it up without any hesitation to never have any more issues with NVIDIA crap malfunctioning. The degree of functionality versus malfunction is all over the board for desktop and mobile... extremely inconsistent user experience. Ironically, consistency used to be a strong selling point for them. Inconsistency has been a hallmark trait for AMD drivers and now NVIDIA want to be the best at having the most inconsistent drivers that impair the pleasure of ownership, LOL.

Edit: not sure AMD is actually getting better as much as not offering anything new for ages. Harder to screw that up, I suppose.

D2 Ultima likes this.
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, what is the best driver to use with desktop card?

3. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As said this is a driver problem. 347.88 works without issues on my 980M, stock or OC.

Nice vids, and now I have a voice to go with your avatar :)

D2 Ultima likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Not being able to answer that question is part of the problem. The experiences are all over the board. This driver works fine for some, but not for others even with the same GPU. Before 350.12 drivers it wasn't quite this inconsistent, but it has been a roll of the dice since the release of Maxwell. The most accurate answer is probably that best driver is the one that works best for the individual user. While it is common for the unhappy to post complaints and more common for the content to remain silent, you can see from these threads in GeForce Forums that there are plenty of issues with NVIDIA's driver quality.

Official NVIDIA 350.12 WHQL Game Ready Display Driver Feedback Thread (Released 4/13/15)

Official NVIDIA 352.86 WHQL Game Ready Display Driver Feedback Thread (Released 5/18/15)

Announcing Hotfix driver 353.00 (fixes for mobile GPU only)

When Kepler replaced Fermi it was this way. It seems like only yesterday that Fermi users were screaming bloody murder that drivers for Kepler burned up their Fermi GPUs. It took about a year for the bumps in the road to level out. We should buckle up again when Pascal is released, because it will likely be a repeat of the same kind of driver fiasco.

killkenny1 and TBoneSan like this.
  5. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The best drivers I've used, without modifcations, are 344.91 or 347.88.

Right now I'm using 352.86 just until I finish The Witcher 3 because the latest patch improved performance for it.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Performance wise I don't have a good idea right now. I'm fairly new to the 980 game so I haven't been able to observe any real evolution as far a performance goes. I do expect brother Fox is right on the money with his assessment though.

As far as stability goes, there are those goofy issues I mentioned a few posts back that only started happen since the GTA5 drivers.

killkenny1 likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    And to think that Pascal will already be much faster than Maxwell. Nvidia will probably crap up the drivers so much that the perceived improvement is actually much better than it actually would be, by messing with the performance of Maxwell GPUs.

8. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Doubt the hotfix drivers will run any better but so glad they added DSR support. Can replay my old games with crisp graphics. :D

9. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    LOL... No DSR here due to Optimus...

BTW drivers have been rock stable.. Been having 0 problems with them and work perfectly :)

Thanks to @j95 for his alienware inf mods :)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.