GE 75 Raider 9SG-655: terrible thermals, stutters in every game, MSI says "normal" for $3500 laptop

Discussion in 'MSI' started by bm11, Jan 6, 2021.

1. bm11

bm11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But I bought a gaming laptop, for gaming, and am angry that it doesn't game.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You bought a computer, that runs within specification of the hardware and behaves as its supposed to under those circumstances.

Your issue looks to be bad contact between the heatsink and the components. If your temps instantly go up regardless of your task, in this instance, gaming, then that is most likely the culprit.

Repasting and as a consequence reseating the heatsink will likely resolve your issue and return the product back to your expectations, or at least near it.

3. bm11

bm11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, I'm willing to try it for sure. I did note, however, that I shipped it back to MSI with Thermal Grizzly and they did re-paste it, which didn't fix the issue. they didn't indicate that they used my paste, but they didn't return it to me either. So, there has already been at least one re-paste that didn't resolve the issue. Do you suggest trying it again? I'm making the assumption that whoever at MSI performed the re paste is more competent than I am, having never done one at all, but it is possible that I'd have greater attention to detail.

Because the internet makes it tough to tell emotion, to clarify- my reply above isn't sarcastic. I genuinely appreciate the input you are offering in trying to resolve my problem. While I do disagree with you that it should be expected that a product at this price point doesn't work as advertised out of the box, and certainly should after being shipped back once, I do appreciate the input on how to move past that point, as MSI clearly isn't interested in helping and I'm stuck with a $3k+ laptop that may as well be a Chromebook in most cases.

I did a fair amount of research previously and decided it was over my head to attempt it, but it seems that liquid metal may be in order, though risky.

4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    It should be expected, yes, but companies are run by humans and its our nature to be self serving lol.

I dont hold people I dont know in regard, I fully expect a drone just running through the motions and sending it back, but that is my opinion. There is likely an owners lounge here in the forums, I would check it out for what real world expectations are with a properly aligned heatsink.