gave back my gigabyte aero 15 what shall i get? dell xps 9560?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Esaelias187, Sep 9, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I did say it...re-read the whole post, and watch the video. :)

Geez, I posted a video showing a MBP thermal throttling, and said I stopped using Mac laptops due to their thermal throttling when doing my work, how much more can I possibly say?

I think thin Mac and Dell laptops that thermal throttle the CPU and GPU under work or use loads, and any other thin laptop that thermal throttles CPU or GPU under normal use are worthless, and need to be returned for a laptop with better cooling - one designed to provide full performance of the parts it's made of by providing full power and cooling. :)

custom90gt and don_svetlio like this.
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Perhaps Apple will do the smart thing and add the i7 8550U to the new MBP 2018. That way, it won't throttle since we're talking about a 15-18W ULV, not a 45W H-series CPU.

hmscott and custom90gt like this.
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Right, you posted the video on the MBP. My whole point with getting involved with this thread and going back and forth with Don was how could one recommend a MBP with known thermal issues when you're not recommending the XPS for thermal issues. The screen and touchpad are user preference and don't fit into the mix as does the OS.

hmscott likes this.
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    I'm not recommending either. I just pointed out that if these two devices are the only options for some unknown reason, the MBP's thermal issues are less severe and it can usually hold clockspeeds around 2.5GHz under heavy load on both CPU and GPU.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm sure Apple will figure out a way to make it thermal throttle :)

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Nah, the current cooler will handle 15 + 30 fine. if it can keep 40 + 30 near base clock.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Mote

Mote Newbie

Reputations:
    Would you recommend this for video editing / reliability? I'm looking for a machine I don't have to take apart or worry I'll get a broken machine shipped to me. I'll be traveling all year and have no time for that. But I do want it to be competitive in terms of video editing power and color quality. I only do light gaming (top down rpgs Pillars of Eternity style) so I'm not too worried about that aspect.

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    How much are you willing to spend? The first question. Second question, what software do you use to edit your videos? Third question, how comfortable are you with simpler tweaks like undervolting with Intel's XTU tool and tuning GPU voltage by yourself? Fourth question, what kind of colour accuracy do you currently posses and what do you need? Fifth question, how many hours of battery are you expecting?

9. Mote

Mote Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to spend between 1500 and 2500.

Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop

I don't have any idea what undervolting or tuning GPU voltage means, I'm sure I could figure it out, I just don't have prior experience, but as I will be backpacking across another country at the time of using this computer and occasionally without reliable work space, I'd prefer not to have to deal with a lot of post-purchase modification/technical issues.

I currently work on a Macbook Pro Mid 2012, but I only do basic editing. I'm looking to up the quality and intensity of the videos this next year, which is why it's time for an upgrade (plus this thing is losing steam). I don't do a lot of fine color work, so it doesn't need to be the best of the best, but if I do need to do some color correction on a video, I'd like to know I'm getting decent quality.

It would be great if it ran for around 5 hours of actual work. I don't do a lot of battery powered editing right now, so it's hard to say what is reasonable. I'm generally always plugged in, but I won't be as much this next year.

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Well, a few fair warnings. If you use Final Cut Pro - you're never going to get anywhere near as fast on a Windows device. It's actually not possible. The export times and renders on FCP are so fast due to software optimization. For Adobe - you will see an improvement but I can't say how large.

Undervolting with XTU is quite simple. You dial in a negative offset (since current Intel CPUs are way way overvolted by default causing them to run warm) and stress test. If it's unstable, the machine will crash. Reboot and change the setting to a less aggressive undervolt. Say you start at -50mV. That's fine. You go to -80mV. That crashes. So upon restart you dial it back to -70mV and apply that. It's mostly about taking a day or two to tweak it. It usually reduces thermals by a good 6-7*C. It's definitely recommended as it also somewhat improves battery life since you basically use less power for the same tasks.

5 hours under load in video editing is going to be hard to pull off. If you mean less intense work such word processing, excel number crunching and general productivity. Easily manageable.

Which country are you buying from btw?