gave back my gigabyte aero 15 what shall i get? dell xps 9560?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Esaelias187, Sep 9, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's true, it takes a lot of fail to get me to condemn Alienware, to watch carefully anything you buy from vendors Dell and Alienware.

Alienware and Dell have worked hard to attain that status... it's sad, and I welcome their deliverance from failure whenever they start delivering good customer experiences out of the box.

Actually it's only Dell and Alienware that set of the alarm bells whenever I hear someone thinking of buying one - heroically diving between them and the Buy button. :D

Know your product before you buy it, and you can make a considered purchase. :cool:

Otherwise it's a blind roll of the dice, like when buying Alienware. :p

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I mean, the AW I can somewhat forgive. They at least tried to rectify the situation by speaking with the community and doing something (smaller pads). If the next generation has redesigned CPU mounting for the cooler, all is forgiven. As for the XPS 15. It's a second generation of them having overly hot power delivery. I don't expect them to survive a torture test with flying colours but at least be able to play GTA V without parts of it touching 120*C. It would have been simple to just add 1mm thickness, use the cooling to cover the power delivery (like my own GL502 has a whole heatpipe over them, /shameless brag). Then I would not have batted an eye but this is not acceptable. If the 3rd gen of the XPS 15 9500 series is the same, I'm going to start classifying the device alongside Razer Blade 14s as overpriced crap.

hmscott likes this.
  3. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    You see now why this thread has been going off the rails for 2 days now? :D

hmscott likes this.
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Yes, the XPS 13 is a very good 13" ultrabook. Thankfully it doesn't suffer from the thermal issues plaguing the 15.

hmscott likes this.
  5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Please all stop spamming the thread along with off topic or unsupported opinions. I had to delete alot of content, while some relevant was there it was to much of a cluster to edit it all out.

don_svetlio and hmscott like this.
  6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...HD-InfinityEdge-Notebook-Review.156462.0.html

So before buying a dell notebook, try to see if Dell fixed everything and if not, what issues still remain and if you can life with it. It's a bit of a hit or miss when it comes to dell. So I think the best thing you can do is inform yourself before buying, maybe on other forums etc.

Overall I like the design and the parts themselves, but it seems Dell struggles a bit when it comes to power management, cooling and such.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2017
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The way I look at it....Comparing the XPS 15 to the MacBook Pro, the throttle/thermal issues should not even be taken into consideration. The XPS blows the doors off the MacBook Pro while doing video coding. EVEN IF THE XPS is throttling, IT'S STILL FASTER! add in the better screen, touchscreen, more upgrades, etc. NO contest. I have no issue with buying an XPS 15. NONE.

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    If we don't take any throttling issues into consideration, then the MBP is faster since it has the option for a 7820HQ which is objectively faster than the 7700HQ found in the XPS 15. Additionally, the feature-set and optimization of FCP make the MBP a better editing workstation. As evident here where we see that even a dual-core 4th gen ULV i5 can edit video without a hitch in FCP. Nothing such is possible in Adobe.

If the XPS starts throttling then it becomes laughably slow. It also has an objectively lower-end panel in both the 1080p and 4K models. Having touch is not needed on the MBP since you already have a better trackpad. I agree, there is no contest, the XPS 15 is an objectively worse device now that I think about it.

Basically, for anyone looking at video editing and deciding between XPS 15 in Adobe or MBP 15 in FCP - the MBP is about 10 times better. So yeah, I repeat what I said such a long time ago. There is a very good reason for the XPS 15 being cheaper. Several actually.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the 2017 MBP 15 has better battery life than the corresponding XPS 15 models. You may not like it, but it's a fact. Here is the proof. XPS 15 lasts for 7:14 while wi-fi surfing while the MBP lasts for 10:44. That's a near 4-hour advantage for the MBP. I guess it's better than I thought before. Who knew.

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, the XPS 15 uses PWM across all brightness levels so it will cause more fatigue during prolonged use. The MBP only uses it under 200 nits so you are less likely to suffer from eye fatigue or eye strain with the MBP. Yeah, that combined with the ghosting makes me wonder why I've been confused thinking that the XPS 15 had a high-end panel. Eh @hmscott

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Any laptop that thermal throttles is a waste of space, it's self throttling behavior takes away the full service of the parts you spent good money to get.

I had to stop getting Macintosh laptops years ago because they all thermal throttled on me during work.

Much like this little guy:

Water Cooling the Macbook 2015 - Increased performance or dead Macbook!?

If the Dell is thermal throttling it's CPU under use, it should be avoided.

Dackzy and alexhawker like this.
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Then the same thing should be said of the MBP...

hmscott likes this.