gave back my gigabyte aero 15 what shall i get? dell xps 9560?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Esaelias187, Sep 9, 2017.

1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The XPS 15 is also a pretty expensive device and it also has issues as demonstrated above

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Again, it's still 7-800 dollars cheaper than a similarly equipped MacBook pro (which has problems of it's own), plus the xps 15 has many more features that make it better. The xps is expensive, but the MacBook pro is way more "expensiver" ha ha.

3. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    There is a reason for that. The MBP has a better screen, better battery performance, a VASTLY superior trackpad and a 16:10 aspect ration (some people need that for photoshop)

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    NOPE. disagree, screen on the xps is better, plus touchscreen...you can upgrade the dell, trackpad that's personal preference, screen ratio again is personal preference. Apples to apples, there is no reason for the MacBook to be 7-800 dollars more expensive, other than it's an apple. The xps is the VASTLY better computer.

Mr. Fox and alexhawker like this.
  5. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like my XPS touchpad much better than my wife's MBP. The 4k screen on the XPS is also better than hers IMHO.

kojack likes this.
  6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Regardless of personal thought, the brightness, backlight control and colour accuracy and calibration are all better on the MBPs

The XPS 15 uses PWM to control bightness, MBP does not.
    The XPS 15 has around 350 nits peak brightness, MBP is closer to 550
    The XPS has a contrast value of 1000:1. MBP is 1200:1
    Default XPS 15 Delta E values are 4-5 (too high for colour accurate work, you need it lower than 3). MBP is 0.8

So no, out of the box, the MBP has an objectively superior display.

(All values come from NBC)

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    A vastly superior computer that can't hold CPU clockspeed above 1.4GHz without reaching 120*C on the mosfets. Don't get me wrong, the XPS 15 is a good device, provided you mod the cooling, but there is a good reason it's 700$ cheaper. It's not as good as a MBP for a digital arts professional or musician.

EDIT: Also battery. the 4K XPS 15 lasts for about 7:20 on a single charge vs 8:30 on the MBP. That's not a small difference.

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I love throwing specs around even though in the end state to me the 4k looks much better. Where are your touchpad facts as well? I can tell you're pretty biased toward the MBP considering you are willing to point out the thermal issues with the XPS but then praise the MBP.
    I've been far less than impressed with my experience with my wife's MPB. Her itunes has corrupted itself multiple times, the OS seems nice but it's a total pain to have to dual boot into windows to use the software she needs, and I think of how cool of a laptop I could have got for the price of hers...

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Where have I praised the MBP, exactly? Both are thermally limited but the MBP holds higher clocks than the XPS 15 under a sustained load. The problem with the XPS is not the components being hot, it's the power delivery ramping up to insane temperatures because there is no heatsink whatsoever on them. This has happened for 2 generations in a row and it's a glaring design flaw. Hence why I stopped recommending it. Most users who have 2000$ to burn on a luxury device are, usually, not savvy enough to understand basic things, let alone how to fix their 2000$ machine's design flaws. You know how to do that and have fixed, good. But many won't and many will have issues and feel cheated afterwards. Funnily enough, I don't recommend the MBP 15 either. Only to people who REALLY want the highest end screen possible. What I usually recommend is the ZenBook UX550. It's cheaper than the XPS 15 by about 500$, has no problem keeping clockspeeds at base under heavy CPU load (save for stress tests but torture testing these machines is not a good idea) and also has a large 8-cell battery. Screen is about the same as the XPS 15 and the trackpad is similar to the one on the 9560 (the 9550 uses Elan drivers and can go to hell)

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Does the MBP really hold higher clock speeds than the XPS? The wife's machine throttles faster than any XPS I've owned (6 or so). You may not recommend the MBP but you never brought up the fact that the MBP has thermal issues too. In my opinion both the XPS and the MBP have some serious throttling issues that the average user wouldn't notice because ignorance is a bliss.

Mr. Fox and kojack like this.