Gateway P-7805u FX + Intel 7260 Wi-Fi Card or PCIe SSD

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by SimplyTheSaint, Jan 21, 2017.

1. SimplyTheSaint

SimplyTheSaint Newbie

Reputations:
    I found an old thread that featured a few posts about this but the English used was hard to determine where they were going with anything (and i couldn't reply because it was to old).

So here's a new one! I have been upgrading the laptop. I have a X9100 3.067ghz chip that works great. I plan to go with 8GB of memory. I was going to go with Crucial's CT2KIT51264BF160B option as I read somewhere it works, but most posts here point to G.SKILL's F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ, so maybe I'll try that one first.

OK! So, getting to the point of the topic. I have been trying to upgrade the Wi-Fi card in the laptop. I wanted wireless n/ac support as well as dual band and BT. I picked up two cards, the better one being the Intel 7260 (the other is Dell DW1703). Both our half mini PCIe, where the original card was the full mini slot next to it.

So I tried installing either card. The result was BT worked great after an extra reboot on both cards. However, although Windows shows the Wi-Fi card as installed and identifies it for what it is and I am using the latest drivers for either....they both show as Wi-Fi turned off. You cannot turn it on. No Fn+F2 (does nothing), Windows Mobility Center window doesn't even list anything about network and switch on front of laptop is of course on. You turn on the Wi-Fi and it starts to think and then goes back to off position. I have tried everything and can't get Wi-Fi to enable.

In another effort to enhance things, I bought a SanDisk X110 32GB SD6SF1M-032G SSD 3050 Mini PCI-e mSATA card. I figured since I am trying to move to a half mini card for wireless, it opens the full mini card to something else. I think great, I'll stick an SSD in there and use it for Windows' ReadyBoost maybe at least. Since SSD in the HD slots offers zero improvement due to the crap SATA bus they use on-board I guess. The result though, nothing. Windows doesn't even see anything in regards to the mini PCIe SSD. Nothing in disk management needing to be created or anything. Simply nothing.

I am beginning to believe that Gateway has locked out anything but their ONE Wi-Fi card they include with the laptop. Nothing else seems to work in those slots.

A little about the system:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    4GB Memory
    System Model P-7805u
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9100 @ 3.06GHz, 3066 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 9C.17.00, 12/16/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    On the new cards you have to use the tape trick on one of the contacts. I believe pin 20 is the power issue and pin 51 for the BT issue if you have it.

3. SimplyTheSaint

SimplyTheSaint Newbie

Reputations:
    I will have to determine which is 21 and what tape to use then. I would guess e-tape. I don't have any issues with BT. It's the only thing working on the cards. It's just WiFi that's a no go. Thanks, I will give it a try today as soon as I have time and report back.

Update:

Thank you! It worked. That was the magic. Wi-Fi is now working!

Now to just get the SSD in the mini PCIe slot to function :/

The card seen in this picture (SanDisk SSD) will not even register as anything is even there, in Windows...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. TANWare

Reputations:
    The second slot is not mSATA/ATA/SATA. There is supposedly an Intel turbo memory card that will work though, haven't tried it myself. I do not think it is bootable though.

Edit; some thing like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-TURBO-MEMORY-2GB-NVCPEMWROO2G2ES-/232213321430?hash=item3610fe16d6

Edit 2;
    you can not use the higher density 4GB chips. You must use the older style and even a bios update will not help. The higher density chips are also use for the 8GB sticks and they will not work either, apparently a chipset limitation.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  5. SimplyTheSaint

SimplyTheSaint Newbie

Reputations:
    Rats. That's too bad. Means I'm down one purchase of an SSD. Oh well. At least I got this far :)

Thank you

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    Agreed, I would have liked mSATA support but that is the way the chips fall.

"Despite sharing the Mini PCI Express form factor, an mSATA slot is not necessarily electrically compatible with Mini PCI Express. For this reason, only certain notebooks are compatible with mSATA drives. Most compatible systems are based on Intel's Sandy Bridge processor architecture, using the Huron River platform. Notebooks like Lenovo's ThinkPad T, W and X series, released in March–April 2011, have support for an mSATA SSD card in their WWAN card slot. The ThinkPad Edge E220s/E420s, and the Lenovo IdeaPad Y460/Y560 also support mSATA.[19]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

SimplyTheSaint likes this.