1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Gateway P-6831FX User Review

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by lewdvig, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fusionsenses

fusionsenses The Unbannable

Reputations:

Wow, I never heard ppl paying $30 for that.

2. lewdvig

lewdvig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Black viper's guide linked-to in the review is free and makes a big difference if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

3. lewdvig

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, you can use vLite on the included OS DVD to create a very light weight install.

It removes things like Tablet and Media Center and related services. Google 'vLite' and read the forums for soem advice and guides.

I had Vista running like a champ on a ThinkPad Z60t.

4. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi!
    Is the Geforce 8800M GTS in the laptop integrated or MXM? If its MXM, is it possible to put another 8800M GTS so it could run SLI ? Does this VGA really have his own DDR3 memory ? How much does it use from the system memory with Turbocache? (besides his own 512MB). Can you please tell me how much is the core and the memory clock?
    And could you tell me pls, that exactly what kind of brand are the two memory modules inside the laptop? Are they changeable?
    Could you please tell me where can I download drivers for this laptop? (Chipset,Bluetooth,Soundcard,etc)

Oh and one more thing...on BestBuy.com it sas that the screen only can handle max 1280x800 resolotiun, but you sad it can handle 1440x900...so who is right ?

5. hanmik

hanmik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Thank you, I added memory and added a second hard drive, but was not looking for the processor, so I missed it completely!

6. parapudaw

parapudaw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You need your serial # to get into the download page.

7. MICHAELSD01

MICHAELSD01 Apple/Alienware Master

Reputations:
    It's discrete, but it's "integrated" into the notebook. The Gateway doesn't support MXM or SLI, yes the video card has it's own memory, sharing memory with the system will barely make a difference. The processors' are clocked at 1.6GHz with a 1MB cache, I believe.

8. morphy

morphy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's also conflicting in that it's specified as WXGA+ on the site which is right. 1280x800 must be a mistake.

9. Snowsurfer

Snowsurfer Rocky Mtn High

Reputations:
    Gpu is 500/799, Samsung memory easy to change 10 minutes.

10. Tele-TV

Tele-TV Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Perry (thanks! for the review), and everyone. This is my first post here. Great site BTW. Yeh I heard the battery life sucks (as confirmed by Perry) when I did a Google search. My question is, please....

1. If I'm not going to do gaming, just surfing the web, what do you approximately think I can get out of the battery life.

I guess I can always by a second 9 Cell ($149) battery and have another one always charging. That will be kind of a pain to keep swapping it out at home (downstairs where I would not be plugged into an outlet). Just hope there would be some low battery indicator icon pop on the screen (preferbably with a chime/bell), so I don't lose any work. Thanks for listening and can't back to hear from you guys (I have to head-off to bed right now).

SINCERELY,

Matthew

11. fusionsenses

fusionsenses The Unbannable

Reputations:
    Guys , i need some help, I reinstall vista and have the GRC dvd to install all the drivers. But my bluetooth hardware is not detected, as i can't find it in device manager.

Also, I figured out how to get the media buttons to work, it's in the application of GRC, it's called hot button or something like that.

If you guys know how to get the bluetooth to work again, please tell me.

12. xRoC_Fajita

xRoC_Fajita Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought this laptop 3 days ago and i think its great. I run world of warcraft smoothly (lots of battlegrounds) but I have Gears of War and the game always crashes before i get started. I would try to adjust video settings and it crashes...please help!

13. xRoC_Fajita

xRoC_Fajita Newbie

Reputations:
    Im very interested on a CPU upgrade...which one is recommended if I wanted to purchase one real soon to upgrade

14. Snowsurfer

Snowsurfer Rocky Mtn High

Reputations:
    Updated my driver to the 169.09 which I run in my other computer also, and i just played Gears of War 1440x900 DX10 + maxed settings FPS were in the high 50s to mid 30s during intense fire fights (Can"t get the settings any higher). With the stock driver the game would stutter. The game looks much better too, with the 169.09 but I lost 100pts off of my 3DMark06 score. New drivers are released often just to fix bugs in some of the newer games, and the 169.09, fixes a lot of those problems,also Dx10 would not work with the stock driver for this game, it does now. CPU T7500 or T7700 $249 and $329 at Newegg.

15. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:

oh crap, who was the @+",! who made the download section private?! oh whell, could you please tell me when did they release the latest bios and the main drivers? (Soundcard, chipset, etc) Ijust want to know, if the software support is good too:)

16. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I saw in youre test that you removed the back of the notebook...so this means you lost the Warranty too?
    Speaking of Warranty...I'm planning to get one of these babys to Europe, and I would like to ask, that the Warranty is limited to US only? So if it gets broken, I have to ship it back to the US, or since Gateway is owned by Acer, I can get it it fixed with Warranty in Europe too at an Acer service ?

17. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    oh,and I almost forgot...are you 100% sure that this laptop can handle the new Penryn CPUs ?

18. peteryorkuca

peteryorkuca Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No one is 100% sure if anything will work with this laptop. But to high degree of percentage, by observing the stats of the CPU for example, the willing party will fork out $300-500 to *TRY* to see if it works. Then rest of us knows from that test party's experience.

So far, T7500 works. T9*00 hasn't even release yet so who knows. Looking at the numbers, yea it will work, but there is a chance that it will not.

19. lewdvig

Reputations:
    Are you sure? If you peer into the case you can make out what looks to be a socket area. I might take mine apart tonight to have a looksee.

The 8510GZ I review a year ago had a removable video card module. So it would not be a first.

20. lewdvig

Reputations:
    Actually those were just user service doors. Removing them has no effect on warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.