1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Gateway NV7901u - Review/Discussion Thread 17.3/i5/1 GB Radeon 5650

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by alexjbriggs, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maverick79

Maverick79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Depends on the applications you use. Unless its real memory intensive application there is no way you are gonna know the difference. My suggestion is, if you plan to get real benefits swap both the memory sticks with two 4GB sticks. I know its very tempting to try out with one but i don't see any benefits doing by changing just one. I'm sure its not gonna slow your system down, doing that. 4+2 OR 4+4 GB benefit can only be seen with applications that need so much of memory or when memory intensive multi-tasking comes into picture. Gaming wise i don't see any benefits at present.

Edit : To be on the safer side, if you plan to get one, get the stick that's compatible on your 7901. Just saw on Wikipedia that not all memories are compatible when it comes to M/B that support dual-channel. Now you see advanced technology can be a pain too. Maybe www.crucial.com can be helpful.

2. sinistas

sinistas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everybody, new here :)

Does anybody know why this model is unavailable across the board? It's exactly what I'm looking for, but I don't feel like waiting for in-stock notifications. If not, any suggestions for comparable notebooks to look into?

3. alexjbriggs

alexjbriggs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Maverick79

I actually do use quite a few memory intensive programs. In fact, I rarely game on this laptop, or at all period. The majority of my use is web design, graphic editing, and flash creation, using adobe CS4 suite. Majority of graphic and web design involve high res photos, numerous open at a time. During my web design process, I usually have Photoshop, Dreamweaver/Expression Web, and Flash CS4 all open at the same time, as well as numerous internet browser tabs. So i'd say a pretty memory intensive process.

Also, fairly often, a couple times a week i'd say, I do some mid-high video editing and encoding. While I don't expect to see SUPERB performance on this 7901, I believe i'd benefit with the 6-8gb of ram rather than the 4gb. The 7901 actually does handle surprisingly well as is, but like I said, I believe it could kick up a notch with additional RAM. If I am way off here, let me know.

I do plan on stepping up to 8GB if I make it through my financial issues in the near future and decide to keep the laptop, but to make sure I don't fall further in the hole, that's why I proposed stepping up to 6GB first, if I would benefit.

@sinistas

From what a few of us have read, the 7901 is being discontinued for unknown reasons. However, acer (who owns gateway) has the same exact laptop as the nv7901u, just branded under acer and is physically different. But as far as specs, it's exactly the same. Here is a link:

Acer AS7740G-6364 on Newegg

Also, I am actually looking to sell my 7901 as I am having some financial trouble at the moment. It is only a month old, and hasn't left my desk. I really have only used it to review and help answer some questions on this thread. It also includes a nice case, and I have added an additional hard drive, and upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Professional. I am also considering trading for a lesser of a laptop, plus cash of course. Let me know if you are interested.

4. sinistas

sinistas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info - I grabbed an Alienware m15x through the outlet today though. Good luck with the sale!

5. ryd4fun

ryd4fun Newbie

Reputations:
    OK.... I received my replacement 7919 today and guess what.....!!! Yup, the Capacitive LEDs all work the way they are supposed to. Imagine that...!
    So Alex, it was worth shipping it back as I not only have a fully functioning system now, but I got it for 20 bucks cheaper.

6. alexjbriggs

Reputations:
    awesome, glad to hear it!

i figured it would be to your benefit, and well worth the wait.

congrats!

7. lebowski23

lebowski23 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys!
    To be more specific, IMHO the acer clone-model for gateway 7901u and packardbell lj75-jo (KAYF0 1.03 and newer KAYF0 1.05& NAYF0 1.05) is 5942G, but with 15-inch screen.. I also believe that newer Gateway 7902u is SYSTEM BD/BIOS NAYF0 1.05 (correct me if i am wrong)..

alexjbriggs
    ------------
    One of russian's clone (LJ75) user has installed (another empty and ready slot got to be on 7901u, too) another 32GB SSD for system+programs, and satisfied with it. But IMHO seems that only Intel SSDs rock so far, and less capacity SSD got, the faster it works.
    IMHO getting more RAM memory than 4Gb is only required if you work in ... for instance AutoCAD or smth, or if U do the RAM-drive for system cashe and stuff. As honorable people here mentioned, the only fast and "looking forward choice" option is getting two equal memory modules (2x3Gb or 2x4Gb). HM55 Does not support frequency of 1333 Mhz, but if new 1333 memory modules will work on 1066 Mhz but WITH BETTER TIMINGS (which's good). But< if you ask me I would advise u (according to your needs) not to change RAM (it's expensive, not "best buy" for you) but to install SSD (even small). The installed (as far as i understand) 5400rpm hard drive is slow, with SSD you'll switch off cashe an hibernation files and even Win7+progs will suit. Also (even if you'll get 3,2Gb Ram instead of 4Gb) u may install light and fast WinXP SP3, get read of hard-weight soft (OpenOffice instead of you-know-what for instance)... Sorry i hope i could help...

Now I wonder if you could help me... What can your Insyde H2O 3.5 do? Can it save current BIOS and install new? You see, we neither have utility or BIOS. Could you please send it to me somehow? Both BIOS and Utility? biglebovsky (at) yandex dot ru. Thanx!

P.S. BTW. First Mobility 5xxx chips were not tested to compare there efficiency so the base memory and chip speeds (550/800) may be overclocked to 800/1000 and higher. On newer LJ75's they only go up to 700/900... New drivers 10.3 work just fine and powerPlay cause no artifacts on the screen. Also installed new drivers for intel chipset and SATA ans realtek sound works just fine.

8. ryd4fun

ryd4fun Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe that the Cap LED issue is related to the BIOS. My last system had V1.04 and I noticed that Alex indicated that his worked fine with V1.05 BIOS. Well, my new system has V1.05 BIOS and so that leads me to think that there is a BIOS bug with v1.04 as far as the Cap LED control/indicator.

It's really too bad that Gateway support couldn't figure it out or have not been told by the engineering department responsible for updating the BIOS releases.

So, if someone is really bothered by the fact that their "Mute" Cap LED doesn't work, most likely all they need to do would be to update their BIOS to v1.05.

And now you know the rest of the story........

9. jtaylor991

jtaylor991 Newbie

Reputations:

I bet they temporarily stopped producing them and fixed the fan problem :)
    Hopefully when I buy mine at micro center today it won't have the fan problem! :)

10. RayValdez

RayValdez Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Guys, I own an NV59 model, very similar to its big screen brother.

Have you had any troubles with the charger? I think mine just started to make some sounds, kind of like very low 'clicks'.

Probably defective?

11. alexjbriggs

Reputations:
    Havent noticed any problems with the charger here.

Usually clicking noise from an ac adapter is a sign of a blown capacitor.

If your nv59 is still under warranty, gateway should have no problem sending you a replacement adapter :)

12. RayValdez

RayValdez Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Might have noises caused by the dilatation. I'm not hearing them anymore.

13. DB07

DB07 Newbie

Reputations:
    I wonder if someone can help me out. I have some problems with the audio.
    I connected my NV79 with my HDTV to watch some high definition movies.
    My setup looks like that: laptop connected with HDTV via HDMI cable and HDTV with audio reeciver via optical cable. The problem is that I can't get 5.1sorrund DTS, only 2 channels.
    Has anybody connected it with a success and can share how it should be done?

14. Ultimate Destruction

Ultimate Destruction Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I read that the i5s (at least this one) have built in Intel GPUs. Does anyone know if this laptop is able to switch to the integrated one to save power?

15. Vulnavia

Vulnavia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  16. Ultimate Destruction

Ultimate Destruction Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  17. Vulnavia

Vulnavia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Naw, it's not that good. Here's some info from Notebook check:

"The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics, or GMA HD (or GMA5700MHD) is an onboard / shared memory graphics card for laptops that is bundled in the package of the new Arrandale dual core CPUs ...

The performance of the new Graphics Media Accelerator HD graphics card is noticable better than the old GMA 4500MHD (due to the increased number of shaders and in some cases also clock rate). In some games, the GMA HD is even as fast as a GeForce 9400M / ION chipset. On average it should be as fast as the HD 3200 / 4200 by ATI and therefore allow the user to play older and less demanding games in low settings. The driver support is still not as good as for Nvidia and AMD graphics cards."

The full review is here: Notebookcheck: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

EDIT: As of 6/10/10 they Rank the GMA HD at #168, while the Radeon HD 4650 comes in at #43

18. theskeptik

theskeptik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ordered the 59 yesterday which I believe is the smaller version of this. I cannot wait. antsy in the pantsy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.