Gateway LT3101u 11.6" netbook impressions/thoughts/reviews

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by artsarts, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmikeman

mmikeman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if the amd l510's work when swapped into the netbook? and has anyone done it yet, they default at 1.6ghz so I was wondering if it will run at that when you swap it in or not, I've still been overclocking my l310 to 1.4ghz with no problems except the random BSOD on startup which I checked is coming from the ati control center program (not sure why yet), but I can't get the l310 to run anymore than 1.4ghz

2. downtowncanada

downtowncanada Newbie

Reputations:
    UnPilot, you mentioned you were able to get power management / sleep to work on the LT31 by changing some settings in USB in device manager? What did you do? My laptop won't go into sleep mode, the screen goes black and fan/everything stays on. The computer has to be hard switched off to turn it back on again. I'm running Win7 ultimate.

Also noticed that the wireless driver is flakey, speed is really poor and the laptop has a hard time making a connection to WAP. I have the Atheros AR5B95 and correct driver from Gateway.com, but I think that something is still wrong with it.

Thanks for the help,
    Mark

3. sprockit8

sprockit8 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anybody know of a current stocked source for L310s? I really want one of these but can't find a vendor that isn't out of stock.

4. misterstev0

misterstev0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, posting another successful TF-20 upgrade. System tested fine with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10, and Vista Home Basic 32-bit. Thanks a lot to everyone who posted here on their results and findings, without which I would not have been able to transplant this CPU.

5. 1959chevy

1959chevy Newbie

Reputations:
    Have the Crucial 4GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 in my LT3103u makes it run great. No problems installing it, open cover removed old 2 gb memory, installed new 4 gb module, closed and started it, found new memory on boot with no problems. Thought I would just up date on what I did.

6. misterstev0

misterstev0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Chevy,

Where did you get the Crucial stick? All the 4GB sticks I've found are in excess of $120.

7. ssorgatem

ssorgatem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I managed to hack BIOS version 1.3302 and replace the dsdt with a fixed one, allowing cpu freq. scaling in all OSs without need of extra software or custom kernels.

Here's the link:
    fixedbios.rar

In order to install it, you'll need Phoenix' Winphlash tool (you can extract it from the BIOS update file from Gateway/Packard-Bell)

8. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    Nevermind.

9. Turmlos

Turmlos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's very interesting. Any chance you could explain how you did this? I have a TK-42 in my system, so I'd need to use a different DSDT table.

The BIOS and flash utilities only appear to be available from Packard Bell's site. Are you sure that the LT31 & DOT M/A BIOS images are interchangeable? I'd be hesitant to flash that DOT M/A image onto my LT31.

10. ssorgatem

ssorgatem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In thery, WinPhlash checks for BIOS compatibility...

WinPhlash download link (both 32 and 64-bit)
    WinPhlash.rar

What I did:

I taked the BIOS update file, and ran it inside a virtual machine, where it freezed, but leaved unpacked, in a temporal folder, the winphlash utility and the BIOS file (BIOS1.WPH).

Then, I got from somewhere else Phoenix BIOS editor Pro 2.2, I opened the BIOS1.WPH file, opened the acpi editor and replaced the DSDT by the one used as overried when compiling the linux kernel (you can find it in this thread, IIRC).

Then I built the bios, and then flashed.

WinPhlash has an option to only backup your current BIOS, but I think it also backups the BIOS settings. We could all backup our BIOSes and then upload them somewhere, or at least put a list of BIOS versions and their md5sums, to see if they are actually the same for different models (with default settings).

Anyway, there's a way to recover from a bad BIOS flash, making an USB crisis disk. It's explained somewhere in these forums too.

I also posted in the Phoenix BIOS mod requests thread requesting for an AMD-V enblaed BIOS...