1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Gateway FX4710 - Any good?

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by gsmith1236, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsmith1236

gsmith1236 Newbie

Reputations:
  2. royk50

royk50 times being what they are

Reputations:
    that is a desktop your brother bought,
    this is a notebook forum ;)

anyway the pc look capable, overpriced, could have got much better parts if he knew what he was looking for.

it will run crysis easily, as to res / setting ? try.

3. Dook

Dook Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    lol@heard bad things about (insert your bandwagon hater brand here). This cracks me up every single time I hear it. If the brands were half as bad as the haters make them out to be, we'd all be using yahoo messenger on IBM Selectrics.

4. Ttime20

Ttime20 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just go to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest on that computer and it will give you a general idea of what your computer will be able to handle. It says the recommended for Crysis on that site is

Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz/Athlon X2 4400+ or better
    2 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 640MB RAM or similar

So I dont think you wouldn't have too much of a problem running it but you definately wouldnt be able to run it like on max settings with any AA enabled. Probably high with no AA would be my guess. Just check it out for yourself anyways.

5. Kamin_Majere

Kamin_Majere =][= Ordo Hereticus =][=

Reputations:
    Its not a bad system at all. Its a bit on the pricy side, but i'm getting one becasue it matches the notebook. (plus bestbuy where i live had it bundled with the 34in gateway screen for 1580, because they dont knwo what it is they have bwah hahaha)

The biggest weakness of the unit is really its 400watt PSU. That will be upgraded almost instantly by me though so no worries

6. JDELUNA

JDELUNA Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Whoa 34-inch gateway screen with that computer for under $1600 let me know where and I will buy 2 of them.

7. Lakjin

Lakjin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually you should avoid gateway desktops if at all possible
    Click Here for More Info
    I understand that the article states that for desktops anything under a 5 point difference is insignificant, but personally, I would op for an alternative to a gateway desktop. Again, obviously, within brands there are specific models and lines, some better then others, but as a rule of thumb...I would not go gateway for desktops.

8. KGann

KGann NBR Themesong Writer

Reputations:
    I have heard great things about their FX line, both desktop and notebooks.

9. Dook

Dook Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Me too. I think the FX line was/is Gateways saving grace.

10. KGann

KGann NBR Themesong Writer

Reputations:
    Same here. Man, I had an avid hatred for Gateway. Back in the later 90's and early 00's, I used a few, and boy were the horrible. (Back when the Cow's were on the box)

It took an act of congress, (and my wife), to convince me to purchase this P-FX, but it was one of the best computer decisions I have ever made.