1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Gateway FX Disassembly Guide (Covers all 17in FX Notebooks)

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by azrickster, May 18, 2009.

1. Edward_m

Edward_m Newbie

Okay, i recently had to open up my laptop to clean out one of the vents. and now one corner of my keyboard is slightly raised higher than normal. If i remember correctly, theres no screws that need to be removed to take off the media bar. Is this right?

2. Bodin

Bodin Notebook Enthusiast

this thread is really amazing

thanks for all your hard work azrickster

3. Bodin

Bodin Notebook Enthusiast

I thought there were 2 media bar screws in the battery compartment.

4. PistolShrimp

PistolShrimp Newbie

Great thread, but I need some help >.<. I've been getting 90-105C heat coming from the GPU while playing games (even in TF2, which isn't supposed to be a very demanding game...) and I get huge fps drops while playing when it reaches high temps. I suspect that it may be a thermal compound problem (as in, that it's not there or that it wasn't applied properly). I've bought it refurbished about a year ago yet I'm only starting to be concerned now as I found out that these are very dangerous temperatures.

I'd need help in knowing exactly WHERE to apply the thermal compound, and I would probably apply some on the CPU if possible, since I get around 50-60C idle. Also if it means anything, the GPU idles at 50-65C.

tl;dr: I don't know where the thermal compound would go for the GPU and CPU.

5. nivek_k2020

nivek_k2020 Newbie

Has anyone had an issue with some of the keys not working when they put their laptop back together. My ctrl, alt, home, Pg up, up arrow & left arrow key don't work. I tried reinserting my keyboard cable a couple of times but no luck.

Did I damage the cable from my keyboard?

6. nanias

nanias Notebook Consultant

Hi can I go all the way to the gpu whitout removing the cpu and NB heatsink?

Thank you.

7. xkingpin

xkingpin Newbie

This guide is going to be awesome when I go in to apply some new arctic silver 5 to my CPU.

Big thanks!

8. TaintedGlory

TaintedGlory Newbie

Don't post often, but just wanna say this guide really helped and I appreciate it a lot. Big thank you goes out to the OP. Following your guide allowed me to pull out some huge dust werewolves and apply come ICD7

9. 21niko21

21niko21 Newbie

I followed this guide and I'm having problems with the power brick not being recognized. Someone a few pages back also had this problem, but nobody replied to him. I just looked up the tech support on Gateway and I'll start trying that tomorrow. Any ideas?

Thanks for the great guide btw!

10. Persio

Persio Notebook Consultant

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just want to clean the dust off my 7805: how far should I go in the guide? how much should I disassemble?

11. Archawk

Archawk Notebook Guru

If you want to clean up the GPU fans, you will have to dismantle entire laptop, as the GPU (and the fan) are hidden behind the back cover on the other side of the MB.

12. zep33

zep33 Newbie

Can't thank you enough for this guide. My P6860 GPU died a month ago. Finally got the nerve up to tear it apart last night. Cleaned everything, heated the GPU up with a heat gun, put new Arctic silver on it and put it back together this afternoon.

Working like new for the past 2 hours. Can't believe this actually worked out LOL. I waited a month before tearing into it so I wouldn't be so upset if it ended up in the garbage

13. zep33

zep33 Newbie

Well, looks like I'm one of the 3 that posted whose power brick stopped working after reassembly. Read through all the pages and haven't found that anyone figured out a fix for this yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks

14. zep33

zep33 Newbie

OK Figured it out

The top left corner of the motherboard didn't snap all the way into the board that has the power supply, ethernet and 2 USB connectors.

Had to take it almost all the way apart again to find that but it was good practice.

15. Kintaro

Kintaro Newbie

I registered just to say thank you for a wonderful guide. My P6860-FX has been running hot (a lot hotter recently causing it to shut down in mid-game). When it doesn't die, I get GPU readings of about 96 degrees C maximum. (is that around 200+ F?) And my CPU was just below 90. (These numbers are only when the laptop doesn't die, I have no idea what the temps are the moment it dies, it must be higher.)

So I've half-opened my laptop before but only up till the keyboard, and I only got to the CPU fan for cleaning. Now I just had to really get down to it so I've managed to get to the point where you pop off the top cover. I got to the GPU fan there and felt pretty satisfied.

When putting it all back I hit a snag with the LCD where sometimes it wouldn't boot. The lights went up and went down every few seconds so I went back and basically wiggled the LCD cable / connection until it responded and slowly put the pieces back together.

Aside from that small scare, the laptop seems back to its amazing self again all thanks to your guide. The CPU's markedly lost about 15-20 Celcius while while the GPU is now lower by about 30 degrees C. (Max CPU: 75C, GPU: 64) I haven't fully tested it on various games so I couldn't be sure, but so far it has not died on me recently.

Thanks again for the wonderful disassemble guide. I hope I never have to do it again!

(my laptop is about 2 years old, I cleaned the CPU fans a year ago. Yesterday when I opened the laptop, literally massive chunks of black dirt came out of those vents, and they were heavily packed chunks not fluffy dust.)

16. Archawk

Archawk Notebook Guru

I strongly suggest a laptop cooler for every P-78xx owner; not only it keeps the laptop cool, but it also collects the dust on the cooler instead of the laptop. I have had the P-7811FX for 2 years now (with a cooler from the start) and when I opened it up a month ago, there was hardly any dust within. The Zalman NC-2000 cooler however, requires periodical cleaning, but that is rather easy to do with just canned air.

17. xxERIKxx

xxERIKxx Notebook Deity

I have never used a cooler and when I opened my laptop up there was not much dust at all. Just have to keep the laptop clean and not use it on the bed or carpet.

18. Ultimate Destruction

Ultimate Destruction Notebook Evangelist

Well it is a fact that tipping up the laptop/using a cooler lowers temps significantly. It is also handy to run all the cords under it and I like the tilted keyboard and raised screen. I don't know that it helps with dust unless you clean the dust of the external fans often.

19. kavaXtreme

kavaXtreme Newbie

@azrickster Just had to sign up so I could say thanks for this amazing guide! Gateway and/or other notebook manufacturers should be hiring you to do their documentation.

My P-7805u was slowing down in games, and it took me a while to realize heat was the issue. This allowed me to clear the dust blockage that was rendering the fans useless. (Considering we've only had this for a year and don't have pets or smoke, I'm very surprised at how serious the dust issue was.) My sister has this laptop too and says she is having the same issues, so it looks like I'll have a second chance to put this to use.

20. Takezo

Takezo Notebook Consultant

Guys, I have a P7908u and want to do some cleaning at the coolers. I don't have compressed air here, and don't know where to get one... so I just want to open the laptop. Can I reach the gpu cooler by just removing all the screws or are there anything specific to be done?

Also, I think my GPU temps are kinda hot...

I reach 85, 87 at max, sometimes 90 at the most demanding, is that right? GTX 260M here.

Also, I always wanted to do GPU undervolting. Is that safe?

Thanks!