Gateway FX Disassembly Guide (Covers all 17in FX Notebooks)

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by azrickster, May 18, 2009.

1. ignite

ignite Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not at all man, there is no reason to take apart the lcd screen, keyboard etc. Take a look at where the fan is at on the first pic, it's not that hard to clean it out lol. Grab a can of compressed air and go from there :)

2. WWar3434

WWar3434 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Plus rep, good stuff. Will use when I upgrade my cpu.

3. Christopher10000

Christopher10000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for posting this! This disassembly guide is a GODSEND even for me, someone who is trained to repair laptops and computers... because they are all so DIFFERENT and have different instructions on how to remove stuff.

There is one question I have however... I am assuming that you disassembled this after awhile of using it..... how bad was dust buildup on the GPU? My GPU is overheating on a regular basis without using RivaTuner to 'fix' it, and I was wondering if it might have gotten all cruddy in the less than 1 year we have had it.

4. Kamin_Majere

Kamin_Majere =][= Ordo Hereticus =][=

Reputations:
    yeah, clean out your system... you need to clean it about once a month. Laptops are small and have very little space so any dust gets to be a problem quickly.

You dont have to take it apart once a month just a good can of air will do (though i recommend a through cleaning about once every yearish)

5. DROT

DROT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I need to specifically pull two GIANT pieces of fuzz off of the gpu fan. Is there a way I can just get to it quick? The temps went from 90 to 60 on full blast since using compressed air and stuff but that made two pieces of dust get stuck on the fan which stop it from spinning. I can pick up the peices through the vents. I don't really want to take everything apart but just want to pick the pieces of dust out.

6. Kiero

Kiero Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello azrickster, and thank you for you post, there is a lot of details! I have a question (i'm french, my english is a little bad): can we acces easily to GPU without disassemble all of the laptop (just remove the bottom laptop).

I want to change and add TIM (arctic silver 5) on the GPU like I did it for the CPU but I don't want to take apart the Media Bar, the Keyboard, the LCD, etc. Can we just remove some srews on the bottom en remove the back of the laptop?

I have try it already but I have fail (I realise now that I've forget the DVD srew lol). So is someone have already did it without problem? How to did it?

Thank you!

EDIT: I can see that masterkeba did it. Have you totaly disassemble your laptop or just the back?

7. Liricas

Liricas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    where is the cmos battery/jumper located?

8. doncarlosmoya

doncarlosmoya Newbie

Reputations:
    I have one year old 7811fx, i am working in very dusty environment and my GPU & CPU fan making noise so I did cleaned CPU fan with brush and compressed air but I couldn’t clean GPU fan inside. My question is that it is compulsory to complete disassemble the laptop or another easy way to clean fan inside. I am very confused how to remove bottom chassis of the laptop just like CPU compartment cover without remove the LCD, Media bar and Keyboard.

Thanks.

9. WysockiSauce

WysockiSauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just took apart my p6860 to bake the motherboard (it worked). I used this guide and it was perfect except the p6860 has an additional cable to the power button, near the media bar cable. Has to be removed along with the media bar cable to disassemble the media bar.

10. Omexis

Omexis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I have compiled a PDF of the disassembly guide, useful for printing and offline viewing if anyone is interested. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzmzrfkhjmz

P.S if the link doesn't work then i will host the file elsewhere