Gateway FX Disassembly Guide (Covers all 17in FX Notebooks)

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by azrickster, May 18, 2009.

1. yunncheezy

yunncheezy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

have you figured out how to do the lcd yet? i want to change my 1400x900 lcd to the 1900x1200 ones ive seen on ebay.

2. azrickster

azrickster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. wingmanjzx

wingmanjzx Newbie

Reputations:
    Just say thank you to OP. I disassembled my 7811, made a internal clearing and changed the thermal grease on CPU and GPU according to the extremely detailed instruction, now it works great:))))

4. El_Capitan

El_Capitan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great post, pretty much identical to the 7811.

5. masterkeba

masterkeba Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello ,
    Thanks first to the OP for going through this tricky disassembly,and having the foresight to take pics and mark them ..

So Previously.

The palm and wrist-rest areas to the right of the trackpad would get quite hot making even surfing a miserable experience...Also CPUID reported my CPU was 55C Idle (my GPU would be cooler at 50C),which seemed quite annoying

I dont remember which BIOS it was .. but after a session of gaming I Fired up CPUID whic reported my GPU at 116C (Thats C not F) .My heart almost stopped.I knew these things run hot but damn...

So in an impulse I decided to see if something could be done about this

First thing I did was relocate the hard drive to underneath the track pad (the leftmost slot) .Instant cooler ... highly recommended.no nothing changed in vista..

Some Notes

1.People advice to to blow dust off through the outside fins ..that is a bad idea as it will come back and rest there again ..The right way to do it is the hard way .Complete dis assembly and then blowing it out.

2.The default TIM from gateway was hard and dried up and cracked as hell .. better than nothing but no good still ..

3.There are several tiny surface mount caps around the GPU . caution caution caution .. when working on it..

4.The GPU memory chips (and possibly one VRM) have no TIM between them and the heatsink . So I added a blob of TIM on the center ..better than nothing...THe funny bit is there are more memory chips on the underside of the MOBO with not cooling whatsoever.

5.AS5 Drop kicks heat and takes its lunch money * ..Between cleaning the vents and AS5---- CPU at 32 idle 44 load and GPU at 40 Idle 95 Load..

6.Removing the Media bar was not a big deal as I had thought it was -- Just push from the hinge covers from the back of the Laptop - Up ..and they pop out ..Also the bar's plastic tab things are visible from the battery bay .use a flat head to pop them out.. I highly recommend this than the OP'S method .

hope this helps ..I have done this process a few time so I was not worried .Use precautions and you should be good..

Also when you are in there cleaning take a moment to stare at the crappiest pair of loud speakers on earth.

keba

P-7811FX

6. krazyeone

krazyeone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, my Gateway 7809 runs great but I have a little... tiny problem
    When I press key "2" is like that key is not so responsive, is like is stuck, can someone explain if I can fix this, maybe to remove that key and putt it back

7. darussian12

darussian12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so this is where i screwed up...didnt undo clip correctly so the little teeth on it broke....reassembly lead to it being loose....prayed to god good contact was made...nope i can use maybe 1/4 of keys if that. how hard is it to get a clip and where or is there an alt fix maybe. any ideas? many thanks because im typing this using the accessibility keyboard in windows which is not very efficient :(

8. AMD_PhenomX4

AMD_PhenomX4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    All notebook speakers arent that great,and with a gaming notebook that has as good a value as the Gateway FX,they had to go cheap somehow.
    Danger zone in notebook cpu's btw is about 80C,and max in most Intels is 100C.
    I replaced what looked like "thermal foil" on the cpu of my notebook with as5,and next the cpu,the gpu?(looked like the gpu,idk) covered with a thermal pad,it didnt seem to need a gap between the heatsink and the chip,it runs fine, at overall 8-10C lower @ 46C according to CPUID HW monitor.

9. darussian12

darussian12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

anyone??...even still under warranty i cant really call gateway and send laptop for replacement clip...its not something i can just get on newegg or take in to local shop for what is prob a couple dollar part...and i know how to fix just dont know here to get the clip...or hackjob fix

10. pizzahutmaster

pizzahutmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If I wanted to just take the back plastic cover off to clean out the fans what step should I start on?
    Or do you have to take out the keyboard and stuff to be able to take off the back cover?