Gateway FX Disassembly Guide (Covers all 17in FX Notebooks)

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by azrickster, May 18, 2009.

1. roadsignologist1

roadsignologist1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ahh yes. Haha. I'm going for ICD7 soon enough. But do you guys know anything about the bluetooth stuff for this computer?

2. azrickster

azrickster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Internal Bluetooth is very easy to install, you can see the module and cable in my pics.

I purchased my module here but they are out of it. They also have a Gateway OEM version here but it cost more.

3. dmevid

dmevid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought the T9600 CPU for my P-7805U. I need some help installing it. Any instructions?? Thanks....

4. martee

martee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Dmevid,

Follow this guide as well as the video by Capper. The part 1 and the part 2. It is simple job.

Cheers...

5. dmevid

dmevid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Martee....

I can't wait to try it...Ordered from NewEgg...

6. MarkJW

MarkJW Newbie

Reputations:
    I just took apart my P6831-FX to reseat the GPU with Diamond IC (followed the guide) and now I'm trying to put it all back together. Unfortunately, I've forgotten what exact screws go where, and this thread is no help at all. It only mentions two screw sizes, short and long. There are (at least) three screw sizes on these FX laptops. Short (tiny) screws, medium screws, and long screws. To make matters even MORE complicated, some medium and tiny screws have thin heads while others have thicker, rounded ones.

I used four medium screws (with thin heads) to mount the GPU's heatsink assembly and now I'm remounting the mobo to the main plastic chassis and I'm wondering which screws to use. I actually got all the way to remounting the speakers and realized I wouldn't have enough of the medium screws to fill in all the holes previously occupied by "short" screws, as mentioned in the pinned topic.

Can someone PLEASE clarify? It's kinda misleading. Sometimes the screws mentioned here as short are tiny, then sometimes they're medium. Other times the screws called "long" are medium, too.

7. azrickster

azrickster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    MarkJW, sorry to hear about your problem with the screws. I know that they are not all the same size, but as I stated in you should have been tracking your screws in sections, i.e. keep the screws for the bezel in one group, the screws for the keyboard in another then the directions would make sense because there is one grouping of screws that has more than 2 sizes at least not on the P8705U-FX. Good luck with your issue, maybe someone else who is in the middle of a break down can chime in and help you out.

8. fire268

fire268 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    azrickster, do you remember what temps you were getting before and after the ICD7? I applied mine to the NB, CPU and GPU but don't notice any difference especially with the GPU, under load I'm getting about 72-75C (same as with the stock TIM). How about your idle temps right now? Mine goes down to about 38C then heads up to about 45C and the fan kicks in and brings it back down. The cycle time for me is about 5 mins.

9. MarkJW

MarkJW Newbie

Reputations:
    I ended up using intuition and guessing to put the thing back together. Only ran into one real problem, or two: the media panel wouldn't remount correctly, and I snapped off yet another little plastic doodad that held it in place on the left montor area hinge. Oh well. It bugs me a bit that it's not perfectly flush now, but I don't really care. I'm glad I got it all back together. :D

Another problem was that I only had one really long long screw, and I thought I should have two for the monitor. Then I backtracked and used the uber long screw on the keyboard instead and used two normal long screws on the monitor.

This laptop is getting a little long in the tooth, but I'm going to eke a little bit more life out of it with Windows 7 and an extra GB of memory (it came with 3GB, I'm swapping out the 1GB stick for another 2GB one) and an Intel X25-M. I'll replace it somewhere down the line, when I see another awesome deal like that again. I got my 6831 for $1199 I think. Or was it $1299? It was on sale at Best Buy way back in February/March 2008.

10. azrickster

azrickster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I couldn't really quote you an actual temp difference between the stock TIM and ICD7 because I didn't jump directly from one to the other. You can take a look at View attachment 33962 which is a spreadsheet that shows my temperature changes throughout my laptop changes.

I would also checkout the following posts:

[thread=372333]Official ICD7 Thread[/thread]
    [thread=369732]Which is Better[/thread]