1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Gateway FX 7811 hangs during game play

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by Kid Dinomite, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skogar

skogar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please keep us updated about the open harddrive bay.

2. WysockiSauce

WysockiSauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well after monitoring temps on a secondary display max temp the hard drive hit during fallout 3 was 53c. But........ it didn't crash. The crashes seem to be temperature independent, in my case at least, or a component that hw monitor doesn't pick up is overheating. Under clocking the gpu helps; crashes occur less frequently or cease all together. Wish I knew why this was happening,

3. brandocomando

brandocomando Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yea i am still a bit puzzled by it as well. I've noticed that if you switch to power save mode the GPU temps seem to stay alot lower(even if you brighten the screen back up). I am watching all of the hareware hwmonitor can watch while i play and i have not been able to pinpoint an exact cause for the crash.

i just know that in power save mode tempteratures are cooler and the crashes are less frequent if not solved.

4. WysockiSauce

Reputations:
    Gotta remember that power saver basically down clocks your cpu and gpu. Your performance will suffer.

5. brandocomando

Reputations:
    doesn't seem to be suffering too bad, and if a little preformance decrease is all it takes to stop crashing, i'm perfecting ok with that.

6. Drchatter

Drchatter Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been having the same problem as you but with a 7805FX.
    I figure the model is similar enough that the problem is mutual.
    By any chance do you guys are using a USB mouse or USB something at the same time it crashes. Try plugging it out and see what happens individually if you have more than one.

Everything works perfectly for me only when my USB mouse isn't plugged in so I'm looking for similar solutions to that.
    (Everything is updated and I even got a EHDD and a Fan as suggested here but that didn't work for long or at all so I think the problem is temperature independent and caused by an IRQ conflict thats not being registered or something)
    I'm not well knowing in that realm of device managers but I hope my own case will help us find a solution overall.

EDIT: Also this problem only occurs when the power cord is plugged in. When it's not, everything is ok.

7. WysockiSauce

Reputations:
    I hope you are wrong.:) I don't think I could game with the touchpad only. I will try it without the mouse when I get home. Just a general question to the people with the crash issue. Are you over clocking?

8. Drchatter

Drchatter Newbie

Reputations:
    Also try without the battery charger. I find that sometimes even with the mouse in, I can work it without the charger. Having the charger in with the mouse just speeds up the crashes faster.
    I'm going to see if I can get this exchanged as probably there was a batch of lemons surfacing around...

9. Elenthir

Elenthir Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    When I had crashes, which was only when gaming under Windows 7, no overclocking (killed my last Dell Notebook overclocking, so I am keeping very far away from any GPU OC :) )

10. brandocomando

Reputations:
    No i am not overclocking at all.

so far this is a list of things i have found that seem to prevent a crash:
    -unplugging from the wall
    -playing in powersave mode

i'm hopeing that its not the usb thing because i cannot game with just the touch pad, and i don't wanna get a bluetooth mouse.

Also are you guys running vista? or xp?

11. WysockiSauce

Reputations:
    vista home premium x64...
    Guys just try to underclock your gpu's. Maybe they're stressed or aren't getting enough voltage. Instability of incoming power could explain why this is happening sporadically at higher clocks. Wish we could change voltage to see if this is the case :/

12. pkim1230

pkim1230 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i only read the first post.
    i'd get a replacement.
    i HATE fixing new systems that shouldn't have problems.

trying to fix problems like this is like trying to hide the dust under the carpet.
    i usually just assume its a hardware problem.

why should I be fixing my computer when everybody else has no problems from the beginning?

13. Drchatter

Drchatter Newbie

Reputations:
    Am already underclocking the GPU.

Also to the prior poster who mentioned this, how did you manage to get it to work on power saver mode, mines wont even last with that with the charger in. Anything special or no?

14. brandocomando

Reputations:

no not really. in any mode i can play for at least 30 minutes without a crash, but when i switch over to power save mode it seems to prevent it all together. i even turn the screen brightness up to normal.
    by watching the temps durring play in powersave mode it seems to run 20-25 degrees celcius cooler than in balanced mode.

15. WysockiSauce

Reputations:
    Can y'all explain the crash again. What i get is the monitor turns off/ goes black followed by sound loop. Have to reboot. Running with settings in sig + max brightness..... maybe the monitor is overheating. :eek:

16. brandocomando

Reputations:
    Yep i get the same thing. After extended game playing the screen will suddenly turn black, the sound will loop, and i will have to hold the power button to reset the computer.

This has to be a heat/graphics card issue. Last night while in the power save mode i watched as the graphics card temp rose suddenly (no settings changed) i cannot really explain why it began to rise, but it rose very fast and i got the crash. I was playing fine for about 3 hours at a constand 59 degrees C, then it went up to 75 degrees within a minute, inexplicably.

My guess is that the card is not connected to its heat sink as much as it should be, or that when it heats up it loses connection with the motherboard. this has been known to happen with some laptops.

in response to the comment about sending in the laptop, i've already tried that it is hard to get gateway to do anything helpful if they cannot recreate the problem. When i sent mine it, all they did was update the driver, as if i hadn't tried that. I even included a long note stating all the things i had already tried. If i do end up sending it in again, i'm going to either video tape the crash, and or include HWmonitor logs showing that the temps are reaching the 90's on MEDIUM settings WITH A COOLER when i should be able to play in very high =/

17. Elenthir

Elenthir Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Brandocomando: that is a bummer, I would try feasable alternatives/solutions posted here, but before getting into actually fixing something that should be fine from the factory, I would rather send in the machine and have it replaced/repaired.
    Otherwise you will always encounter problems, and by then, you will probably have killed your warranty by playing around were you should not have been playing around.
    Try to reach someone good from the "support" find out, what information they would like to get from you (HWMonitor loggs, etc.) and send it in.

Over the weekend and the last days I played LOTRO on close to all out ultra settings for hours on end:
    No issues (under Vista 64 temps stabelize at around 55C-57C now for hours and hours) at all! I enjoy LOTRO and even more with my new Vertex :)

18. Kid Dinomite

Kid Dinomite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry I haven't responded to this topic.

You have to uninstall the game from the internal hard drive and then install it to the external one. I didn't notice any performance loss of any kind and my laptop does now does not overheat or get the sound loop, freeze issue. When I would get the problem, though, the screen would not go black, it would just freeze all of a sudden. I would suggest anyone get an external hard drive anyway. I have a bunch of Hi-Def movies and games installed so as not to take away from the needed space on the internal hard drives.

19. WysockiSauce

Reputations:
    For anyone with the crash similar to the one in my last post, It seems to be related to the design of the 9600gt (basically what we have in our laptops). There are many people with this issue; also happening only in some games. (Fallout 3 and Dead Space for me). After a year of trying to fix it no one has a solution yet. The general consensus is to underclock your card for the games experiencing the crash (Easily done with rules for ntune). If you can, return your laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Drchatter

Drchatter Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it only certain 7805 and 7811 fxs that are affected or the entire line?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.