Gateway Creators Series 15.6" RTX 2060 i5-10300H

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by hertzian56, Dec 17, 2020.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This laptop is essentially sold out/done though because at the current price of 999 it's not worth it. I saw it when it was 799 and wouldn't pull the trigger at that price because for the same I could get a used/refurb major brand and supported 1070/1660ti laptop with 16gb+ram, ssd+hdd, i7 etc etc Even a gtx 1080 laptop used you can get for around 799 on ebay. They'd have to keep it at 699 or the insane 649 price for it to keep going, but like last years evoo it's just made for the holiday sales season and then dropped.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  2. hertzian56

Reputations:
    The drivers link, over 4gb in size, is 98% unnecessary because most of it is stuff windows would do automatically upon install/update. The most important for a fresh bloat free win10 install for this would be the gamingcenteru for the rgb keyboard which is 26mb and the THX stuff which is about 170mb with installer and profiles in the THX folder, so neither can be attached here or I would. GamingcenterU is attached separately to a post in the slickdeals comments section linked.

Also I noticed on the notebookcheck review of this there is a calibrated monitor color profile that works for me, but I noticed little difference over the THX when I applied it. I'm attaching it and you can dl it directly from the notebookcheck website review for this model linked at the top, under the "display" section. THX spatial audio, over 100mb, can also be found in an eluktronics link:

https://www.eluktronics.com/covert-gamer-max-15-max-17-mech-15-g3-drivers/

The control center in that may work with the rgb keyboard controls on this model as well as this chassis is used by eluktronics and others. Easy to install test and remove if necessary.

Edit: Link to eluktronics with the exact same chassis.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Elukt...zen-7-4800H-Impresses-Yet-Again.466470.0.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  3. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. I’m going to check out that color profile and see how it looks

Also installed the Eluktronic's control center as it was a newer version than the one installed on the system. First it asks you to uninstall the older version and rerun the application to install the new one.

The new one's branding just differs otherwise the same functionality is there, however, this newer version does feel a lot more smoother.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  4. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Here's my 3dmark scores, timespy and firestrike:

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/56232160
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/56232969

Everything looks to be in order, it's very close to the mean of all systems tested here:

https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/b...RE&reverseOrder=true&types=MOBILE&minRating=0

I've not done anything like OCing, repaste, adding ram etc just stock. I did elevate the rear slightly for more airflow. This is the "refresh" version of the 2060 which is the top mobile version. This testing didn't get the fans close to what games like AC Odyssey and Gears 5 etc get them to judging by the sound level.

Interestingly there's a perf comparison with desktop gpu's on there. As far as the 3dmark Timespy graphics section the mobile 2060 refresh is roughly the same as the desktop 1660super, 980ti kingpin(which is oc'd) and a bit below the 1660ti(pretty much a gtx1070), at stock. Of course no raytracing or dlss for any of those so that's a built in plus. From the price for those cards about 250 it means that you minus 250 off the 700 and get 450 for the rest of the components like cpu, screen, ram, OS and you can judge if it's a good deal. Pre-built desktops at walmart/costco would cost about 450 or more but have a more powerful desktop cpu and maybe more ram, but usually not a gaming class GPU and of course no screen included so it seems a reasonable price to me.For my situation atm mobile is the only option so it works for me.

Another big minus here is the sd card reader speeds which I've only noticed to be less than 20MB/s which is way slow, they shouldn't have even bothered putting it in at those speeds. An adapter for one to a usb3 is faster. Could have just charged less and not had it imo, improved cooling for quieter fans, better monitor color accuracy etc

I have not received a reply about warranty registration from the gatewayusa email support@gatewayusa.com I've not tried calling the number 877-777-0649.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. amdaman

amdaman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can the CPU or GPU be overclocked in these?

6. hertzian56

Reputations:
    I would think so, I have not tried because it's the full 2060 version plenty of power for my needs coming from a burned out 980m system. I've never tried to OC a cpu I might undervolt in the bios for lower temps. But OC not recommended especially on this low cost platform. Afterburner will probably do it, I'm not sure if it's unlocked for above the standard msiab 135mhz etc

7. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Update: Instead of contacting "gateway" through the website contact link, which got me NO REPLY, I just contacted them from my email to theirs support@gatewayusa.com and did get a response for warranty activation.

BUT note it comes from some company called ESI Enterprises which is not gateway/acer/evoo so I think the warranty is dubious at best tbh. At least Evoo has a working website with drivers etc, this doesn't even have that. So if I keep it I have until around the 16th to buy the walmart warranty for 2 years at 60 total. Seems the safer bet.

Also when I asked for drivers, specifically GamingcenterU and THX I got the same dropbox link over 4gb in size which is mostly useless windows drivers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/da6p59op8z5a809/OneDrive_2020-09-03.zip?dl=0

Idk the fans really make this hard to want to keep, I usually watch tv while gaming and don't always have headphones on for that reason and the fans just kill that ability other than turning up the volume much more than I want to. I have a couple of weeks more to send it back or not.

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The fan curve is the main reason why I returned my Maingear Vector 2 (another Tongfang laptop). They would spin up and down seemingly at random, and adjusting via software was completely ineffective.

9. hertzian56

Reputations:
    I was thinking of uninstalling the gamingcenteru to hopefully get some other fan profiles but the problem with that is the keyboard backlight is tied to it. As mentioned above someone used the eluktronics updated version so I may try that. It's fine for all other uses but heavy gaming like ACodyssey, Gears 5, etc type of games but that's kind of the point for this laptop idk.

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The keyboard lighting on my unit was weird, too. At boot, it would light up a really nice, deep red. Upon loading the software, it would change to something more pink and I couldn't change it back to the startup color. Not the end of the world, but it was quite the annoyance.