Gateway Creators Series 15.6" RTX 2060 i5-10300H

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by hertzian56, Dec 17, 2020.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well notebookcheck goes through all the screen stuff but unfortunately it's the 60hz version, I'm not sure if it's the same model with just updated refresh rate or not. I think you maybe could fine a custom display profile online once you have the details of the scree from hwi.

I did get it today and it is a lot more metal than I thought it would be seems pretty sturdy. Just dealing with all the bloat is a pain. I go through the Sordum apps to stop a lot of stuff and winaero tweaker, update nvidia with driver slimmer, dealing with edge but at least firefox is installed stock, bringing back photo viewer, classic taskmanager, libre office install, bringing my game saves over from the pavilion etc etc etc So far it seems just fine, screen is default dim but I just turned it up and it's fine now, I like dark mode so not a big deal.

==I can't find the keyboard backlight settings only the buttons for it, it doesn't seem to fade out when not in use so it's either always on or off, unless there's a setting I can't find.

==It DOES have a sticker over one of the screw holes on the bottom that says "gateway warranty seal" if you try to open it up. That's very scammy behavior by gateway, there's no way to open it without either breaking the sticker or carefully taking it off and putting it back on. Maybe getting a new sticker somewhere lol

==I'm going to run passmark today and post the results. I know passmark isn't real great but it's easy and gives something you can compare against other computers.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  2. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Oh and the THX audio tuning is very strange, sounds like I'm playing video in an auditorium, going to have to figure out how to get back to the default windows tuning. I use VLC for video, vanilla settings.

3. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Here's a passmark vanilla out of the box no tuning by me, everything is as expected on the passmark scale. The gpu rating is a bit low at least as far as the passmark rating for the card, that's like 1660ti passmark rating. Again for me this is totally fine as I'm only a mid range settings gamer or whatever gives fps closest to 60 or 30 locked depending on the game.

I like the simple clean looks, not frills like typical gaming computers, very businesslike. Thin bezel is nice too but it kinda makes the screen seem small, with the bezels on my precision m4600 it actually makes the screen seem larger and blocks out the background while gaming better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  4. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just brought this same laptop and typing from it right now. It's a great machine. It does have the newer 115W 2060 it seems like but doesn't hit the full 115W. It hovers around 90W.
    Besides the GPU, the display is just okay. It's not great and the THX profile makes it look worse. I went ahead and removed it and using the standard Windows color profile which makes it look a lot better.
    I use the 2nd generation ThinkPad X1 Carbon for work and comparing the colors between the two, you can tell it's lacking in color and not as bright but I think shouldn't be a issue getting used to it. The 120hz refresh rate is great and everything looks smooth.
    I upgraded the ram and added another 1TB NVME drive here and it I'm enjoying it so far. Will probably end up reinstalling Windows to clean up some of the bloatware installed.
    Averaging 30-50FPS on Microsoft Flight Sim on high settings and the temperatures seem good so far. Ordered MX-4 to repaste the CPU and see if I can keep the temps a bit more lower.

Overall, for the price of this laptop, I am impressed with the performance. With the upgrades and the additional accidental warranty - I may have spent a total of $900 which I think is okay for this machine.

hertzian56 likes this.
  5. hertzian56

Reputations:
    How do you remove the thx color profile? It's plenty bright for me, I usually have it turned down at least 25% brightness. But the colors seem cold.

Did you go ahead and break the warranty sticker over the screw hole then? Although from looking at gateways site, which doesn't even load correctly or work, I can't imagine you'd ever get much warranty service out of the husk that's called gateway now. I'm going to hold off trying to open it until I decide I want to keep it that is before I can take it back to walmart for a refund on jan 8. I can get by with what it comes with for a while and it games fine, does Cyberpunk around 50fps average on medium settings with dlss performance settings and looks amazing.

I was just trying to figure out if it came with the rtx 2060 refresh or the old one, it's pretty confusing trying to find out. In game it gets up to 1875mhz clock but gpuz says it gets boost to 1375mhz which indicates to me it's the pre-refresh version idk. That could be base of 1375mhz which is lower than the normal version as well but the boost is higher from what I understand.

It's definitely a cpu limited laptop, in cyberpunk the cpu is around 75-90% all the time but the gpu is less. The i5 is the largest drawback. Wish I was looking last year because the walmart Evoo with a 1660ti, 9750h, 16gb, 144hz, 1tb nvme for the same price is a much better deal. You can't use raytracing much in current games with this anyways.

6. whiterose

Reputations:
    If you type in color in the windows search bar and find color calibrate you should be able to remove the color profile there and have windows use it’s default. The THX seemed very warm and I prefer colder colors.
    I went ahead and heated up the warranty sticker and used a razor to remove and upgrade the ram and stick another 1TB NVME in there. I am going to repaste the laptop today but I’m not expecting anything drastic.

I am playing Cyberpunk and MS flight simulator on this machine. Both settings are high, DLSS and ray tracing on for Cyberpunk and getting about 30FPS which is playable for me and makes the game look great.
    For MS flight simulator, with all settings cranked to high, I am getting approximately 30-50FPS depending if I am flying over the ocean or near a large city. Still playable and the game looks gorgeous.

As for the 2060, the device ID does confirm it is the newer 115w 2060 chip, however I’ve never seen it go above 90W power draw with GPU-Z. You can confirm the device ID with GPU-Z and look up the chip type.
    The i5 is okay. For a $700 gaming computer, I’d rather take the 2060 with a i5 than pay more. However, I am still on the fence if I want to keep it or not as well because of the low quality screen and some small things.

Overall, for the price and the specifications you can’t beat it. I already spent $100 on upgrades. Not sure if that was a good move in case I find another deal and can return this.

7. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Good thought with the warranty sticker I might do that after the return to walmart period is over if I keep it. Not in a hurry to spend more money if I don't have to as far as upgrades. I can get by with what this has. True the GPU is the major draw here, for resale later that's what will draw interest mostly.

As I mentioned above a good way around the ssd limitations, if you have a few sata 2.5" hdd's laying around, is to get a usb3 to sata cable from ebay and just plug in larger 2.5" hdds with large games on them. Or just get external usb based large hdd's for games. I also got the HP Pavilion from Walmart with a 9300h and gtx 1650 in it and it's much quieter fans but of course the 1650 is only 50w and has the standard sata hdd bay for expansion unlike this gateway. Only reason I got this was the gpu at the price for new.

8. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Update: from my walmart account screen it says I have until jan 24 2021 to initiate a return so I'll be trying this out until then. As far as the dubious gateway/acer/evoo warranty I did get some info from the phone number on the system summary page and through a web search it has a pdf from the Acer website that just gives a gateway email address etc for warranty.

Looks like walmart contracted with a chinese manufacturer tongfang to payoff acer so they can cash in on the gateway brand which doesn't really exist in any real way. Holiday sales. Alternately Walmart offers a 2 year warranty for 60 or 3 year for 90 that covers standard stuff like battery, screen, hard drive, liquid damage so that's something at least.

9. whiterose

Reputations:
    Yep, brought the 2 year just in case. I do eat and drink next to the computer so I’d rather be safe than sorry. It’s run by square trade which Allstate owns so I’m hoping any claims process will be painless and quick.

10. hertzian56

Reputations:
    According to my wm account I have until jan 16 2021 to decide to get the warranty or not so I'll wait. I don't do eating and drinking by my stuff too risky. As a side note I did get a usable link to the gateway creating an account for warranty purposes through the newegg listing for it.

https://account.gateway.com/sso/signin?LanguageISOCtxParam=en

Edit: the serial number on the bottom of the laptop is not found on the gateway website when I tried to register. I suspect there is no real warranty on this item from the manufacturer.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020