Gas milage

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Jarhead, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Those box cards have terrible rear view blind spots. I wont touch them.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I haven't gathered enough data to see any difference, and I haven't gathers much data before implementing the tips provided.

However, I will be traveling to Greenville tomorrow for an interview, so that will give me valuable highway and city driving information.

3. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That mentality may work if you don't drive much. My commute is about 370 miles a week.

Tundra - 5.7L V8
    370 miles / 14 MPG = 26.5 gallons of fuel consumed per week. Low fuel light comes on at ~20 gallons, so I fill up every 5 days.
    $3.19/gallon 87 Octane x 20 gallons = $63.80 every 5 days, or roughly $382.80 a month on gas. I drive like an old lady and never let the truck shift past 2200 RPM.

BRZ - 2.0L H4
    370 miles / 34 MPG = 10.9 gallons of fuel consumed per week. Low fuel light comes on at ~10.6 gallons, so I fill up every 7 days.
    $3.49/Gallon 93 octane x 10.6 gallons = $37 every 7 days, or roughly $151.11 a month on gas. I can drive aggressively, shifting between 3000-4500 RPM.

Even with having to use the more expensive grade of gasoline on the smaller car, it still saves me $230 a month, or $2760 a year on gasoline.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    For some of us, having a safe, reliable car that is good on gas is higher priority then speed. I used to drive like a psychopath with my 240SX, til gas hit nearly 4 dollars a gallon and blowing 60 bucks a week on gasoline made me think twice about flooring it every chance I got. And I like the Fit/Jazz, a very small fun to drive car that gets great gas mileage. IMO better then any other car in the category, my gf's stepdad has a Sonic LT 1.4L turbo with the 6 speed, such a lax and gushy shifter (it really is terrible, nothing like the precise short shifter on my Integra was like).

5. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Having seen one too many attractive women of various ages behind the wheel of pickup trucks - anything from Ranger to Tundra as well as lifted Rams and F-350s - in my current neck of the woods, I'd question the term "girly car" in the first place...

Jarhead likes this.
  6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Happens even more down here. I wouldn't be surprised if north Florida was the same way.

7. FSU Logan

FSU Logan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    North Florida? Not much. (At least in the demographics of FSU) The majority around here are sports cars. It seems like half of the girls drive Jetta's and half of the guys drive BMW's, lol. Muscle cars (Camaro/Challenger/Mustang) are extremely prevalent here, also. There are the unusual Mercedes and lifted truck, but the majority of vehicles here are cars. I find it EXTREMELY unattractive for a woman to drive a truck or a muscle car, but that's just me. If she drives a car louder than mine, then it just seems weird to me. I average now 12.4 MPG around town and I use 93 octane because of my tune, and I still don't complain about gas. I feel you should know what you're getting yourself into when purchasing a car: In most cases you sacrifice style or finesse for MPG. Luckily, in recent years, there have been a GRAND increase in MPG in all category of vehicles. I personally like that it seems as if the SUV era is dying off. I hardly see any SUV's and it looks as if the crossover has replaced it. Woohoo

8. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Go drive 25-30 miles to work in heavy traffic, and tell me you'll keep driving your Mustang with that MPG. Didn't think so. :)

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Might be just the FSU campus then, or colleges in general (we have roughly the same sort of situation here in Clemson, though with a healthy does of women truck and Mustang drivers as well). I'm glad to say that I rarely see (big) SUVs around here too, though.

Though the rest of north Florida should be too different from the rest of "Southern drivers", trucks, older cars, some sports cars, etc. Being from south Florida, I usually joke about north Florida actually being south Alabama sometimes due to demographics in that area. Major cities should likely be an exception though, since it seems urban areas have their own special mix of vehicles nation-wide. But in the parts of Florida I've been (mostly Melbourne, St. Augustine, and the Miami-Dale area), even the rural and suburban areas mostly lacked any sort of big-lifted-trucks or other typically Southern cars.

10. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How do you get only 12 MPG out of a Mustang? :confused: One of my colleagues drive a 2011 with the V8 with headers, exhaust and 20" wheels and gets 16 MPG, the other has a brand new V6 model and he gets 22 MPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.