Gas milage

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Jarhead, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    +1

Proper tire pressure can also help a lot with gas mileage.

2. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agree 100%, most of the time I drive my new Honda Fit like a grandmother.. Have only owned it 3 weeks but loving it so far.

[​IMG]

This was after a 70 mile round trip yesterday.

3. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    1. Watch your acceleration speed. Taking off quickly will use lots of gas, as well as travelling at high speeds in general.

2. Keep tires inflated to the manufacturer's specs. Don't over-inflate them, they will wear unevenly and will cost you lots more money than gas will when they need to be replaced.

3. As other's said, maintenence. Not only oil but Spark plugs, wires, etc. All of these components are what make your engine spark and ignite your gas. If one of your plugs or wires are bad you wont ignite all of your gas and this will result in poor gas milage (among other problems).

4. If your car doesn't recommend or require premium, don't use it. It wont be any better as most people think. The difference in higher octane gas is actually its resistance to ignite. This stops the gas from igniting in the combustion chamber before the engine's stroke is complete (aka: before the correct time that it should). If it ignites at the wrong time this hurts performance and gas milage. Only some engines (usually high performance) need this, so again, if yours doesn't call for premium, dont use it; wont make any difference.

Also first thing's first. Find out what your car is rated to get city/highway and combined. Then figure out what your getting in your car. Just comparing by when your filling tanks and whatnot isn't accurate enough. Compare your number to the rated specs and it should be close. If it's significantly different, then you know you have a problem with your car.

If you aren't sure how to calculate your mpg...
    1. Fill tank and reset trip meter (or write down odometer if you dont have a trip)
    2. Drive down to at least half a tank or more
    3. Fill up again and write down the mileage you got and the gallons used to fill up.

Then put it in this calculator Online Conversion - Miles Per Gallon Calculator

4. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm too lazy to write anything down anymore. Instead I just take my phone and snap a picture of my odometer and how much fuel I filled. Sometimes one more of the receipt.

5. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I pretty much just drive to and from work with occasional tooling around. I can go about two weeks before filling up and when I do fill up, I usually still have more than 1/4 left.

6. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    dont break 55. 45-55 is the sweet spot for most cars...depends on engine and transmission. Also switch to neutral and coast to stops and turns if no one is behind you...takes forever but you get huge increase in fuel savings (also you can coast 2-3 times farther in neutral than in drive and uses less gas) but it really doesn't matter. Gas is a very small percentage of the cost for most cars....check out my thread on my excel sheet i am working on.

my corollas gas cost is ~1/3 and that is probably larger than most cars due to the cheapness of the car....minus cheap trucks...they may have a bigger percentage.

if you follow manufactures recommend maintenance than your fine...there isn't any other meaningful wall to affect fuel savings unless we hit 10 or 20 dollars a gallon.

Also ignore EPA's gas mileage rating...it is flawed. It was originally based off of emissions or something. Pay attention to consumer reports rating. They recently had a magazine that explained why the EPAs estimate is off.

Also get an Amex blue cash preferred. You get 3% off of gas year round and you get 6% off of jewel and the likes....aka gas cards :)

Also again mileage is more important than gas...that is the real cost to own. I'll be updating my excel sheet in the next week or two....i sent an email to all local Toyota deals to get the maintenance that i actually really need and phishing for prices. Might see if i can get them to barter on the costs :)

Once i get all the Toyotas info it'll be easy for you to simply plug your info in to it in a matter of 5-10 mins with a little research.

Also balanced tires isn't that ig of an issue....proper alignment is. All unbalanced tires do is case a rough ride and has almost or no impact on mileage. It may wear tires faster but i can't recall. Only way balance is messeg us is if you replace the tire yourself or hit some MASSIVE hole.

hope you used truecar.com ...if not sorry :/

7. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Three miles is nothing, why not just bike to work? Good exercise and save money at the same time...unless the weather is complete crap outside.

8. FSU Logan

FSU Logan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Spend more money on gas > Girly car

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Eh, the Fit isn't really girly. Just practical. I was considering getting one, though it was more than the Altima and it didn't fit me all too well (too tall). But actually, I was considering the Nissan Versa for the longest time since it had the leg/head room, cargo space, MPG, etc that I wanted and the only reason I didn't get one was because they cost more than said Altima:

[​IMG]

Besides, spending the better part of your college fund on a car isn't so wise imo (which a Mustang would have done for me at least). Ultimately, I'd love to have a BMW, though I can wait until I'm out of college and earning a decent salary.

10. ajnindlo

ajnindlo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The fit gets good ratings, and decent mpg. It is silly to think a car is manly or girly. The more I save on gas, the more beers I can buy. BTW, I just my niece a VW Golf and saved $1500 off the lowest Truecar.com price. So I am glad I checked it, but got a better deal not using them.

So, does the OP have before and after using the tips MPG values?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.