Gaming/work laptop with good color acuracy for design work

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by j Baby, Feb 8, 2020.

1. j Baby

j Baby Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I'm a freelance interior designer looking for a 15" gaming laptop with excellent color accuracy. I plan to use this laptop as my main computer for work and play. I don't need a pro-grade graphics card - I've worked in AutoCAD, but I generally use SketchUp for my 3D work. I'm considering a RTX 2070, because it seems a nice cost/performance middle ground between the 2060 and 2080. I also like that the 2070 offers ray-tracing capabilities; from my understanding, these capabilities don't offer much advantage now, but they may in the future, as games are developed to use them.

Because color plays a large part in my work, I'm looking for panel that can produce something close to 100% Adobe RGB. I'd also looking for something with good thermals and a dedicated number pad. So far, the only laptop I've been able to find that seems to check all these boxes is the Gigabyte Aero 15. But it's about $400 over my 2k budget. I appreciate the advice.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome back.

For your work requirements, I'd look at an HP ZBook with a DreamColor screen from the HP Outlet. (See our guide to outlet shopping.) Click shop now at the top right; then Shop Now again. On the screen that follows, expand Notebook PCs and search on the page (Ctrl + F) for "DreamColor". There are plenty in there under your budget. Those will be 100% Adobe RGB.

That said, I don't think those models are ideal for gaming. No workstation will be ...you might have to decide what's important to you here. If you want the best of all worlds, try the Razer Blade 15 Studio Edition. It'll run you about $4k, though.

Don't forget to factor in a screen calibration device. No screen would be worth much for color-sensitive work without one of those. I use a Spyder Express with my DreamColor display and it works great.

Charles

SamuelL421 and j Baby like this.
  3. j Baby

j Baby Newbie

Reputations:
    Charles,

Thank you for the advice. I'd briefly looked at the ZBook, but its price kept it from being a serious option. I had not though of checking the HP Outlet - thanks for the tip!

Thanks also for the advice in re: a screen calibration device. I'll take a look at the Spyder Express you recommended.

- Josh

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You might consider taking a look at a Clevo PB51RF / Sager NP8454. It is very similar to the Gigabyte Aero but price starts at $1899.

You can also check the Dell Outlet for a Precision 7540 - it seems like you should be able to find something with an i7/RTX3000/UHD config for under $2000 with a coupon. The RTX3000 card is similar to a RTX 2060 for gaming and with the outlet discount it is not quite as expensive.

j Baby and Charles P. Jefferies like this.
  5. j Baby

j Baby Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks win32asmguy, I'll check the Dell Precision out too,
    - J