Gaming/Work laptop suggestion

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Kriegprojekt, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Kriegprojekt

Kriegprojekt Newbie

Reputations:
    START COPY
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

1200-2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I like MSI due to their manufacturing process, I have an ACER MoBo in my desktop that has been a great piece of hardware, other than that, I have no idea about other brands so I can’t say if I like or dislike them.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Light gaming (WoW, Overwatch) and work including VM OS and forensic software.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Yep. WoW, Overwatch, other Blizz titles, Steam games. Would like to do VR at some point but it’s not a deciding factor for the laptop I could just use my desktop. The current games I play probably don’t even need an RTX card but if I could get one reasonably priced, I’d get it. On the other hand, if I could get a 1070/1080 for a discount, I’d jump for that knowing what games I’m playing g now.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

2-4. I’ll have this plugged in most of the time

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Doesn’t matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows but I’ll be using a VM for others

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

High

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Doesn’t really matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

As long as it’s not pulsing lights as I’m working next to my boss...

I’d prefer something not too “gamer” or flashy.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

As much as possible

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Next few weeks

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

4-6 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

I definitely. I have a nongaming one o can use

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

I’d hope to have something with as little QC/warranty issues historically, but I could send it out.

I’m currently looking at MSI but someone else suggested Clevos and Eluktronics but I honestly have never heard of them until I started research a few weeks ago. I need something durable, good quality for work/research and gaming. I don’t want an ultra thin laptop.