Gaming Router

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Geraldus Riviensis, Oct 19, 2017.

1. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There is an issue here. Assuming you can increase the range of your router by increasing transmit power, you would have to increase the transition power of a client as well, otherwise the whole setup isn't going to work. The fact that data from the router/AP can reach the client isn't very useful if the request for data from the client can't reach the router/AP.

You can't increase transmit power od typical Wi-Fi cards in notebooks though.

You can get around it by implementing antennas that have better gain, but the more gain the antenna has the more directional it is, so ultimately you might be improving range, but you will be making the coverage worse at the same time.

MLev1777, bloodhawk and Vasudev like this.
  2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Certainly most clients can't be adjusted.
    The Mikrotik way with internal antennas I assume is via more tx power and also better rx sensitivity. They list them for their hardware. I've already tested with their cAP lite, signal almost exactly the same as my ISP's box, but hAP ac has about 6dB more listed in both.
    Regarding consumer routers, i guess some can be adjusted to higher tx power, because the same are sold to different markets, though they likely don't support the same 1W peak power. And this doesn't affect their (undisclosed) rx sensitivity.
    A higher-gain antenna I assume should work in both directions, but indeed result in more directional coverage, like further on the same floor but less up and down, assuming vertical antennas. I don't need to cover multiple floors with this one, just need to improve the coverage a little bit. In my other house I set that cAP lite to the second floor.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry for pasting a bad reference. These blokes put 3 external antennas on a dual-band 2x2 which seems to have 4 internal antennas, two for each band. On closer look, they connected the pigtails to measurement points (hence the special connectors), without cutting off the internal antennas.

4. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hey Bloodhawk,

If you are having current issues with your 1535 and an Asus router, would you mind reaching out to us directly at http://www.killernetworking.com/about/contact so that we can help you figure it out, or get the details so that we can duplicate the issue in our QA lab? We haven't noted any issues with our adapters and Asus routers. Also, by the way, the 1535 is a Qualcomm-based radio.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

Vasudev and bloodhawk like this.
  5. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Thanks for reaching out Anthony and for the correction on the radio being used as well! I knew i was missing something.

For now all my laptops have the Intel 8260/8265 in them. Ill reach out to you guys once i have the chance to swap in the 1535.

Killer_Networking and Vasudev like this.
  6. Killer_Networking

Reputations:
    Sounds good. We always appreciate when users are willing to help us troubleshoot device connectivity issues, especially ones that we didn't know about!

Vasudev likes this.
  7. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I second this completely. I don't have much personal experience with Mikrotik, but have heard good things. Have been using Ubiquiti's Unifi series extensively for awhile, and have found it be an excellent solution for most solutions from high end residential and up.

Thanks for taking the time to respond here. Great to know you're willing to help out when we have an issue.
    Just to make you aware, a user has been reporting some major issues with a Unifi system and Killer Wireless 1535 equipped Dell 9560s. It appears to be an issue on the Unifi side which will be resolved shortly in firmware, but in case you wanted to follow-up or reach out you can see more here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...ess-1535-reboots-UAP-Pros/m-p/2153930#M264729

Vasudev likes this.
  8. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think you're right on here. Any router manufacturer or user who claims to increase range significantly though power increases doesn't understand wireless. Agree completely that if you're looking for a small increase in coverage a model with higher gain antennas can be a good idea. And for high density areas, significant gaps, or throughput increases, your almost always better off trying to get another AP in the area.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Killer_Networking

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for pointing that thread out to me. I have forwarded it to our QA head so that he can handle it as he sees fit.

Simply physically moving some things around, even if it's by inches, to dodge line of sight between client and access point can make the biggest difference of all.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Was there any changes in newer Killer drivers suite from v1.5 and above?
    I noticed some tweaks are already present even after driver uninstall. For example, Roaming aggressiveness was set to Lowest and I also set freq. band preference to 5GHz. Another entry in services.msc was Qualcomm WLAN driver service. What does this service do?