Gaming Router

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Geraldus Riviensis, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Geraldus Riviensis

Geraldus Riviensis Newbie

Reputations:
    I am most sorry - I have done nothing so far on this website but ask questions. I have and am delighted with a gaming laptop, but rather crippled on steam by an appalling Scottish Highlands broadband speed -- 200 kilobytes per second. I wondered if this is as mother's router is several years old, and have heard of both gaming routers and router-modems.

Are these devices such that they would plug into the laptop by USB and hopefully detect faster broadband, or need they be fastened to a telephone port?

2. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    First of all there is no such thing as a gaming router - packets are packets. Adding "gaming" to something like router serves one purpose only - to jack up the price.

Secondly if you have a slow connection no amount of money spent on networking hardware is going to help. There is no "faster broadband" to be detected - you have a slow connection and that's it.

It seems like your only option is to look for another ISP.

3. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You need a new ISP (internet service provider).

You can't buy equipment to solve this. You could have the best networking gear in your house. But if your internet connection out of your house to the rest of the world is slow, then your internet experience will be slow. And the only way to fix that is to get a new ISP.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    THIS ^

If you really have to get a new one, get something from Ubiquity Or Routerboard HAP series.

I have been using this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMMK4HI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for about 6 months now, performs way better than my ASUS RT68U.

Papusan, Vasudev and Phoenix like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maybe 5GHz band will ensure lowest latency since not many devices comes with dual bands.
    Yes I agree you need to find new ISP, DSL or Optic Fiber is/are the best option with speeds greater than or equal to 10Mbps.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Commandor

Commandor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    First step would be checking with your ISP on the package you guys have and the speed you should be getting. Then you can go from there to determine if its on the front end or back end.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Way better in what terms? I understand folks are mostly happy with the RT68U, although it isn't considered sth special these days.