1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Gaming performance SSD or 8gigs of ram upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by Uzii305, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uzii305

Uzii305 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which would my frames per second benefit the most from??? Right now im gaming wit SU7300 and 2gigs ram with the standard 160 gig HDD. Wat upgrade do the experts recommend?? Thank you

2. roxxor

roxxor Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Upgrading to 4GB of RAM is the most likely to give you a boost. Going from 4GB to 8GB will not increase FPS. Upgrading to SSD will not increase FPS (but will give a nice boost to a lot of other things).

3. Benchmade 42

Benchmade 42 Titanium

Reputations:
    What are you going to run that will require 8 gb of ram? x20 internet explorer/wmv/itunes/winamp/worldofwarcraft/starcraft2 simultaenously?

LOL

4. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    4GB = Gaming
    6GB = Music Production
    8GB+ = Heavy Adobe/Maya

Upgrade it yourself to save $$$.

Grab another 2GB of Ram and if you can afford it, an SSD from newegg. SSD isn't require for gaming, however it's nice to have. If you can't afford it, just get a 7200rpm 500GB also from newegg and you'll be set.

5. Akari

Akari Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The only thing SSD will effect is load times, and even then not so much. But in all everything is nicer, Windows responds faster, it boots much faster, and there's less noise, heat, and much less risk of drive failure (mechanical drives aren't great to lug around all day).

The RAM will do nothing at all for gaming past 4GB (most applications can't access more than 4GB anyways, ex. Photoshop).

6. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    the only way to get better fps is to overclock the CPU and GPU...and hope that the game is well optimized!

7. surfxombie

surfxombie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    4G & faster drive, that should make the game less pausey in transitions.

To increase fps you are going to have to look at:
    • Overclocking CPU & GPU (depends on game which gives best result)
    • Reducing the detail (esp post processing)
    • Messing with the games configuration (see relevant gaming threads)

8. slickie88

slickie88 Master of Puppets

Reputations:
    Totally agree about 4GB being right for 90% of people out there. However, x64 Photoshop can access as much memory as your system has.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Or VM's. Although I don't know you'll be doing many VM's on the M11x considering the low powered CPU.

SSD also greatly improves battery life.

10. Rjdeli

Rjdeli Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    fps boosts will not come from either one of these upgrades....

ssd- might improve the stuttering when loading into new players, zones or monsters.

ram- will do almost nothing assuming you have 2 gb and your not using it all and playing off the pagefile.

The biggest boost to your fps will be more video ram better cpu... but since you prob have a m11x and that's not possible without pinmod.

I would recommend a fresh install and clean up your running processes while playing the game, basically cut back on system resources, adjust for best performance in windows.

Of course if i had to choose either of these two upgrade i would strongly suggest the ssd over 8 gb of ram. I have both and i could have done without the ram seeing as how i barely use 2 gb of it with my pagefile turned off.
    hope this helps good luck!