Gaming on a Laptop while on Battery

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by PJPeter, Oct 11, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd like to see your spreadsheet

etern4l likes this.
  2. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok guys here you go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rdhfq4iTsiGnJ4T4RNC2WoCSKNHtJtykXKr9i9dpE5o/edit?usp=sharing

That's the spreadsheet with my data from my testing of these laptops:
    ASUS Zenbook 15 UX534 GTX1650 MaxQ
    MSI PS63 GTX1650 MaxQ
    Lenovo L340 GTX1650
    Razer Blade Base 1060MaxQ
    ASUS GA502 1660Ti MaxQ
    Lenovo Y740 RTX2060
    Lenovo Y740 RTX2070 MaxQ
    Razer Blade Advanced RTX2060
    Razer Blade Advanced RTX2070 MaxQ

I was especially focused on Battery Gaming performance - but also considered some other factors, such as price, weight and noise (especially preferring units that can operate silent on low load).

Please let me know what you think.

I've also added a row for when I test the Razer Blade Stealth next week hopefully :)

Peter

3. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi All,

My Razer Blade Stealth FHD GTX1650 MaxQ arrived today.

I've added my review and findings of battery gaming performance to the spreadsheet. (You can scroll over to see Pros and Cons as well as the 3DMark Results - TimeSpy runs fine but FireStrike hangs every single time with a icfworkload sitting eating up cpu cycles indefinitely without an error).

I'll keep experimenting, I haven't tried ThrottleStop yet, but unfortunately the results for battery gaming are not good from my perspective.

At 25%-30% battery it hits a wall and the performance drops about 75%. Then at 10% it drops another 75%.

I didn't see that occur on any of my RB15 test units or on my UX534.

It really feels like a toy compared to the UX534 and it cost nearly $1000 more. And this darned right shift key/up arrow is driving me nuts...

Really unfortunate, I had such high hopes.

Peter

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I received a private conversation request from a fellow member to consider the P1 Gen 2 w/ Quadro T2000 Max-Q (or X1 Extreme 1650MaxQ). I didn't realize at first it was a private conversation and not in the thread, so I'll add the response here also with the name removed for privacy.

Thanks very much, I appreciate that info to consider.

I did a check today, and to match the specs and support of my UX534F (except with a i7-9850 which is of course much more powerful than the i7-8565U) I made the below order:

ThinkPad P1 Gen 2
    Part number: 20QTCTO1WW
    Quantity:1
    Ships in 4-5 weeks.

Processor : Intel® Core™ i7-9850H with vPro (2.60GHz, up to 4.60GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12MB Cache)
    Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
    Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Memory : 16GB (8GB + 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
    First Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 PCIe-NVMe, Opal
    SSD Total Capacity : 256GB
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, 500 nits, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™ HDR 400
    Graphic Card : NVIDIA® Quadro® T2000
    Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
    Keyboard : Backlit Keyboard - US English
    Camera : IR & 720p HD Camera with microphone
    Factory Colour Calibration : None
    TPM Setting : Enabled Discrete TPM2.0
    Battery : 4 Cell Li-Polymer, 80Wh
    Power Cord : 135W AC Adapter (2pin)-US
    Wireless : Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 5.0
    vPro Certified Model : vPro Certified
    Display Panel : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 500nits, No touch, IR-Camera, Mic
    Package Box : Retail Packaging
    Language Pack : Publication-English
    Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

$2,630.55
    1Y Accidental Damage Protection Add On
    Part number: 5PS0V07090
    Quantity:1

$46.55
    Subtotal: $2,677.10
    Shipping: FREE

YOU'RE SAVING $1,010.90

Total with tax: $3025.13 CAD

I bought the UX534F at BestBuy for $1599+tax CAD = $1806.87 CAD - the P1 has a Matte display and thunderbolt which would be nice to have - but the GPU performance according to the 3DMark is almost the same 7770 GPU FireStrike Score vs. 7 692 (99%) in my test (https://www.laptopmain.com/lenovo-thinkpad-p1-gen-2-review/).

Since it is a full 45W CPU on the P1 I would expect it to suffer more power throttling especially at low battery - it's actually very similar to the Lenovo L340 Ideapad in my spreadsheet that I tested in terms of specs - though lighter, higher quality specs/chassis. I expect it would react the same way though on battery (25-30%).

I realized I lost my "Battery Performance Cut Level" column in the spreadsheet - I've now added it back in from my backups. That's been really important to me, since if the performance is so sluggish that the game is unplayable, I don't count it as part of the game time (that's why the L340 only gives 48 mins of Game time when on Better Battery Performance Level).

The Razer Blade Advanced and Base models had no difference between 100% and 5% battery in terms of the on battery gaming performance - it's only the Razer Blade Stealth that struggles at less than 30% from my testing.

And all my testing has been with Mass Effect Andromeda since that's the game I was playing when I realized my 950M Laptop just couldn't cut it. I had to set the graphics quality so low I couldn't take it, so I stopped playing on the computer, bought a Nintendo Switch (Zelda, Mario, Skyrim) and waited a year until the RTX release when in January 2019 the Y740 seemed like the answer (budget and performance wise) before I found it failed in my tests.

You can definitely play lighter games much longer - I don't know if 5 hours of gaming is feasible, but if I were to play Space Quest, Civ 2 or some other older game like that (or solitaire or something) then it's certainly possible.

I do see you deleted a lot of your original post (I got an e-mail when you put it up with all your comments about using 3DMark, etc..) - I totally hear you, and all of this is subjective, and comparing AMD Radeon or Intel 3DMark scores is very misleading - but it helps me get a baseline, since playing the game can vary a lot too - between being indoors, in a large area, longer loading times, more textures, brightness, etc...

I've written a ton - I might take a look at seeing what the X1 Extreme 1650 MaxQ price would be, but I think for now I'll stick with the UX534 since it's so much cheaper and I know it does what I want.

Just gotta make sure I found one which has a good set of fans, keyboard, backlight, chassis, etc.. - so far it's been a challenge because the quality control seems to be lacking on some of these units.

Gotta get back to work.

All the best,
    Peter

P.S. The Battery Cut level I shared above is when I see stuttering to the point of unplayability, it's now back in the spreadsheet and answers some of your questions.

I also found that switching from High Performance to Better Performance or Better Battery gives me much longer run times with better GPU performance since the game I play (Mass Effect Andromeda) is GPU limited much more than CPU in most cases. Stuttering starts on the Razer Blade Stealth at 49% on Best Performance - but only 30% when on Better Performance. So I tried to note that and test for it as well. Thanks!

P.P.S. This is with the P1 gen 1 with the slightly older GPU, but gives some comparison info on noise and otherwise: https://www.notebookcheck.net/index.php?id=127065&specs[]=311899&specs[]=310894

5. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And for the record, here's the pricing with education discount for an X1 Extreme Gen 2 with specs almost as good as the UX534F:

X1 Extreme Gen 2
    Part Number: 20QVCTO1WW

Ships in 7-9 business days.
    Configuration Details
    Processor : Intel® Core™ i7-9750H (2.60GHz, up to 4.50GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12MB Cache)
    Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
    Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Memory : 16GB (8GB + 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
    First Storage Selection : 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 PCIe-NVMe, Opal
    Hard Drive Total Capacity : 256GB
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 500 nits, IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™ HDR 400 with IR & 720p HD Camera
    Graphics : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Max-Q 4GB
    Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
    Keyboard : Backlit Keyboard - US English
    Camera : IR & 720p HD Camera with microphone
    TPM Setting : Enabled Discrete TPM2.0
    Battery : 4 Cell Li-Polymer, 80Wh
    Power Cord : 135W AC
    Wireless : Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 5.0
    Display Panel : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 500nits, No touch, IR-Camera, Mic
    Package Box : Retail Packaging
    Publications Pack : Publication-English
    Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

Web Price:$3,811.00
    Sale Price:$2,534.32

+ 1Y Accidental Damage Protection Add On

$46.55
    Subtotal: $2,580.87
    Shipping: FREE
    Total: $2,580.87
    YOU'RE SAVING $1,279.13

Total with tax: $2916.38 CAD

And that's with a 256 GB NVMe rather than the 512 - though it does have Matte Display, Thunderbolt and fingerprint sensor and this one does not - but I think I'm definitely sticking with the ASUS Zenbook 15 UX534F over that - especially considering I don't know how badly the X1 Extreme Gen 2 would throttle on 30% battery.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it was exciting to check out another possibility.

Peter

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.