Gaming Laptop ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by LaMOi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Haven't heard of Cyber Power. The spec you are showing is basically a 1.5 years old model. There are so many other aspects of a laptop it's hard to say more than that.

I would advise you to purchase a broadly reviewed laptop from one of the major manufacturers.

2. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Ok.

I’m waiting on the 30 series laptops as I’m seeing very similar price points to what I was looking at with older laptops...

So I’ll wait.

One question?

Are the 30 series laptops worth waiting for do you think?

Because it seems like laptops by virtue of being a laptop are limited in many respects, especially with regards to power wattage. This seems to ultimately limit the components in the laptops even if they are the latest and greatest.

it’s like, are the 30 series laptops gonna be that much better, outperforming the ones on offer now?

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think they are worth waiting for, but the exact improvements are difficult to estimate at the moment given the mess around multiple TGP (power) variants available.

See http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-will-ampere-scale-on-laptops.834039/page-69

Another option would be to get a laptop with good 8-10 core Intel CPU and no or light GPU, and use a TB3 eGPU enclosure with a desktop RTX 3000 series card. This particularly appealing because this time, unlike in the past the latest desktop GPUs are much more powerful than the mobile variants.

The downside is that these TB3 eGPUs really require an external monitor, and even then incur a performance hit, particularly in 1080p.

NuclearLizard likes this.
  4. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sheesh.

So much to consider.

5. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Another question.

Is it a safer bet to buy an actual brand laptop, package vs buying from a site where you configure the spec.

obviously taking into consideration that I know a little bit about processors and memory and graphics cards.

But it is a little knowledge.

I don’t know which components might not gel well together etc.

With that in mind is it safer to for somebody like me to actually just buy a brand laptop that’s all put together already?

6. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Been having a look at Bestware and Cyberpower sites and they seem a lot more pricey for basically less powerful laptops and components.
    If you want more powerful components they charge over 2k! For laptops sporting only 16GB RAM and RTX 2070

Compared with sites like Amazon. You can easily find laptops with 16GB and cards RTX 2070/80 much cheaper...

7. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The cheap HP Pavillion laptop I was gonna go with — £649 has been discontinued ! I was informed this morning by the HP guy. Real shame as for the money, it was a decent spec.

Which means I go to plan B. My alternative was an ASUS with similar spec. But it’s £749, so I thought why not go the whole hog then??

So I was wondering if I could get some advice on these.

I’m considering — ASUS 30 series laptops. I’m torn between

£998 option —

Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506 AMD Ryzen 7-4800H 8GB 512GB SSD 15.6 Inch FHD 144Hz GeForce RTX 3060 Windows 10 Gaming Laptop

And

£1399 option —

Asus ROG STRIX G15 G513 AMD Ryzen 7-5800H 16GB 512GB SSD 15.6 Inch FHD 144Hz GeForce RTX 3060 6GB Windows 10 Gaming Laptop

With the second main advantages being faster processor (Ryzen 7 5800H) and 16GB RAM.

But that’s a hefty £400 more.

I have looked at various sites comparing the two processors, with 5800 obviously performing better, but not by much in some instances.
    I think there was something about the 4800 allowing for faster RAM ??

Any thoughts...?

8. rockelino

rockelino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check out the new Alienware m15 R4 or Sager thin gaming notebooks. You'll for sure find something you like that fits your budget.

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why are you bumping posts that are months old?

Edit: I see, you're spamming here to get to the post threshold in order to list your laptop for sale. Not cool.

andross77 likes this.