Gaming Laptop ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by LaMOi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You guys have totally lost me. You’re speaking another language! Lol

Yeah wattage is something I hadn’t considered actually.

So a desktop is able to get way more performance out of its components then than a Laptop?

This is where I suppose you need to carefully consider Laptop vs Desktop...?

I suppose your Desktop will have longevity where as a laptop has a definite half life!

if I had a house I would definitely go Desktop I reckon.

Also can you plug a 144hz 1080p laptop into a 4k TV/monitor and play games in 4k ??

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can plug most laptops to a 4K TV/monitor, the issue is whether the laptop will be able to run games at 4K. Basicallu you need a 2070 or above to even start thinking about that.

A desktop would be a much better option if you are on a budget and can survive without the mobity, you will get more bang for the buck and you will get to learn quite a bit about PCs if you build one yourself from components.

3. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Also that best ware site is good? Reliable? UK based?

Also — when I start configuring, my natural inclination is start choosing the best most powerful components (within my price range) ..... assuming that together is translates into a powerful PC/Laptop...

But that’s not necessarily how it works is it? Or is it? I’m thinking some components might not gel well together, or simply limitations of a laptop etc power wattage ....?

4. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately — I live in a flat and have 2 young kiddies.

My options are —

1) Buy a cheaper gaming laptop. Then buy a desktop when we eventually move.

2) Or just stay the course and buy a decent laptop that will hopefully last me 5+ years.

In theory I’d like to get a fast processor i9 or Ryzen 9 , RTX 3070 and 32GB RAM

Hopefully within budget £1000-1500

5. etern4l

Reputations:
    Sounds like a good spec to target, but given the constraints, looks like Black Friday will be your best bet.

6. etern4l

Reputations:
    Should be OK, it's a store front of XMG, based in Germany I think. If you are looking at UK options only your options will more limited.

7. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I’m just mindful of possible returns for faulty product....?

8. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Overclockers? Uk based I think?

9. etern4l

Reputations:
    Just check their returns policy from the UK. Shouldn't be too problematic given there are no duties involved at the border, but obviously not as easy as returning to Amazon.
    If I were to shop for a laptop today, XMG would be my first stop. Love the options, they have very clear specs (note how they quote power/TGP on all GPUs). You may need to do a bit of googling, but it always pays to be an educated consumer.

Overclockers are UK-based, so is Scan. Scan is very reputable. Would be my second choice, in addition to the likes of Amazon and PC World.

10. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does SCAN let you configure / choose the components you would like?

Also thoughts on CYBER POWER? That’s another company I’ve seen (most on Amazon).

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk

get good reviews...

I’ve configured a Tracer III EVO 400 laptop (no idea whether that laptop is any good or not?)

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor - 6 Core, 12 Thread - 2.60GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo - 12MB Cache
    • MEMORY: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/2666MHz Dual Channel Memory [+57] (Corsair Vengeance SODIMM)
    • MOTHERBOARD: Intel® HM370 Chipset
    • VIDEO: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 Max-Q - GDDR6 8GB - DirectX® 12.1
    £1248

Seems like a decent price! That’s cheaper than Amazon, Curry’s etc. By a good couple of hundred pounds!

Also generally is it better to go Ryzen for gaming or Intel? It seems quite unclear that one. ...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021