Gaming Laptop ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by LaMOi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sorry — reformatted my original message.

1) What is your budget?

My budget is around £1000-1500.

Ultimately I’m willing to spend a bit more if it will get me a laptop that has some decent longevity. One that is powerful enough it will last me a good number of years without quickly becoming obsolete with regard to playing the latest games.

I’m now wondering whether I should wait for the new 30 series laptops on the horizon? RTX 3060/70/80??

2) What size notebook would you like?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Don’t mind.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

I want a new laptop

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming.
    Normal everyday use. Some work, some family pics etc.
    Will probably need Microsoft OFFICE.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Not really. Just home use.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Total War series
    CoH1&2
    MoW Assault Squad 2
    Bannerlord
    State of Decay 2.

I will predominately be using it to play RTS games, but may play other things and would like at least the option to play AAA games.
    Although I will likely get a PS5 at some point for those.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

It’s not a big deal. Minimum 2hr?

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I’m fine with buying online.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

1080p minimum. 144hz minimum.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Not sure what difference that makes.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No. Although I find most gaming laptops are rather gaudy! Not my thing...

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

At least 1TB SSD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Soon.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

5 + years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

A week or two. It’s only gaming I guess.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

If I was guaranteed quality service I would pay extra for good warranty packages.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome. I'd look at a Lenovo Legion 5i, an Acer Predator Helios 300, or, for something newer with an RTX 3000 series GPU, the Asus TUF Dash F15. I'm unsure if those will be in your price range, but they are all mid-range laptops that can play any modern game at a 1080p resolution.
    For something less expensive, MSI's GL series is worth a look.
    Try to get at least an RTX 2060 GPU, if not an RTX 3060. The RTX 3000 series cards might not ship until later this quarter.
    Charles

NuclearLizard and etern4l like this.
  3. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi —

Thank very much — appreciate all feedback.

I’ve been out of the PC gaming scene for 15+ years. So a bit of a noob.

so I have been looking at —

HP OMEN 15-dh1010na 15.6 Inch Full HD, 144 Hz Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-10750H, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q design (8 GB Dedicated) Graphics, Windows 10 Home - Black

£1400

It seems to have some of the best components for the money. 10th gen Intel etc, RTX 2070 and 16GB RAM.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0877M83X3/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

But then the 30 series —

https://www.ebuyer.com/1136489-msi-...gb-1tb-ssd-rtx-3070-17-3-win10-9s7-17k222-078

MSI GP76 Leopard Core i7 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 17.3" Win10 Home Gaming Laptop

Currently pre-order price is £1799-899.

So that’s a couple of hundred more for a quite dramatic upgrade.

Or even — https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156...1370h-16gb-ddr4-512gb-nvme-ssd-8gb-rtx-3070-w

£1298 if that’s a real price? That cheaper than the laptop I was looking at, with a more powerful processor and RTX3070!

I think I will just wait...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  4. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    Of those I would go for the TUF Dash F15. Note that its RTX 3070 is power limited (about 80W), so it's not going to be much different, performance-wise, than the Omen 15's RTX 2070 Max-Q, but it is a better card (newer/more efficient architecture). The Omen 15 is very well made and would be a good choice, too.

The MSI GP76 is larger (17.3-inch screen). I think it sounds expensive ...I would wait for reviews before spending that much.

Charles

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, the GPU in the Dash is probably the baseline 80W+15W boost TGP variant, although, naturally, the specs don't state this. Another pitfall is the 4 core 11th gen CPU, although it does have PCIe4 and Thunderbolt 4. I am amazed they claim 16.5h of battery life. How?

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    The only way it can get near 16 hours of battery is in iGPU mode. You need to use the Asus Armoury Crate app to switch to it. Otherwise battery life is about half as long (8-9 hours).
    The Core i7-11370H is pretty strong and shouldn't hold you back in gaming or most demanding tasks. It's a 35-watt chip.
    Charles

etern4l likes this.
  7. etern4l

Reputations:
    Both battery life results would be extraordinary, and great to see it has that helpful MUX switch. Too many times I see 30-40W draw while on battery, where the CPU is only using a few W. The majority of the remaining power utilisation can only be explained by some hidden GPU power draw (sometimes not showing up in HWINFO).

Think I would go for that device in OPs shoes, unless he def needs more CPU cores. Have had good experience with Asus recently, and the price is unbeatable.WOuld just check if the RAM and WiFi aren't soldered!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  8. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I suspect the TUF Dash F15 doesn't switch GPU modes automatically because it has adaptive sync. It's not G-Sync or FreeSync from what I can tell.
    It also has only one RAM slot for upgrades; 8GB is soldered so you could add a 32GB module for 40GB total. But there are two M.2 Type-2280 slots for SSD upgrades.
    Otherwise it's a solid machine.

Charles

etern4l likes this.
  9. etern4l

Reputations:
    Ha, I suspected a catch. Such an upgrade would mean a loss of dual channel memory performance. 180deg turn from me then, absolutely would not get that machine even at that price point.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  10. etern4l

Reputations:
    Just to give OP a few more regional options, I would look at XMG offering, starting with.

https://bestware.com/en/xmg-core-15-intel.html

The main site is xmg.gg.
    Waiting for a solid affordable Ampere option would like extend to Black Friday.