Gaming Laptop/Tablet

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by LordDavon, Jan 22, 2018.

1. LordDavon

LordDavon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Up to $1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    C-D
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Lenovo, Samsung

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Development, Gaming (medium settings are fine), Entertainment device (Netflix, Hulu, etc)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes. GTX 1050 or better.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    1080p+

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte is best, but glossy is fine. Wont be using outdoors.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Somewhat. Would prefer thinnest and lightest.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Next month.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    256GB+

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No
    ==========

I currently have a Surface Book (i7, 16GB, 512GB HD, etc), but would like to upgrade to something with more cores and better GPU. Would like tent style 2-in-1 or detachable for when I am watching videos. Good keyboard/Trackpad a must, as I will be coding with it mostly. I've been looking at the Acer Nitro Spin 5, but the reviews are filled with throttling and bottlenecks. Would go with the Surfacebook 2, but the price is steep and the GPU still drains the battery when plugged in. I know there are Kaby Lake-G and Ryzen 2-in-1s coming, but know very little about them. Any suggestions?

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Asus ZenBook Flip 14 might be worth a look, but its dedicated GPU isn't that powerful. There aren't many convertible notebooks available with a dedicated GPU.

You'll probably be better off with a gaming-oriented notebook and a separate tablet. MSI's GS series notebooks are nice and thin, as is the Gigabyte Aero series. They'll push your budget but - save up and get what you really want.

Charles

Phoenix likes this.
  3. LordDavon

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reply. So far, besides the Surface Book 2, I've found a Lenovo 720 (15") with MX1050 and 7th gen Intel, and the Acer Nitro Spin 5 with the MX1050 and gen 8 Intel CPU. Both are 2-in-1s.

Dell, HP, and Acer (and a few others) also have newer units coming in March. Most are Kaby Lake-G, while Acer is also coming with the Ryzen and AMD 580. As someone has pointed out to me, first generation usually will have a slew of bugs though. I'm okay with that. The first year of my Surface Book was a mess, but I still enjoyed the unit.

I've spent the day tossing a coin at getting the Lenovo 720 (15"), or just waiting until March for the new units to arrive. I'm still eyeing the new SB2 too. I've also read a review on the Acer Nitro Spin 5 where someone undervolted the CPU and overclocked the GPU to fix the issues it was having. So at $999 it is a consideration as I could pop it open and put some arctic silver and a copper shim in it.

I already have an iPad Pro 10.5, Surface Book 1 (i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD,etc), Samsung Chromebook Pro, Cube Mix Plus and a few other units, as well as a gaming desktop (i7 4790K, 16GB, 1.2TB SSD, MX1070, water cooler, etc). I really want something that I can game on and watch videos on while traveling, as well as use around the house. I'm playing Shadow of War mostly w/SW BF2 and a few others. I'm okay with medium settings, so a 1050 is fine with me.

If the SB1 and Chromebook Pro have taught me anything, I really like using them in tent mode or with the display turned around, unless I am doing a lot of typing. I mostly game with a controller, except for online games where I play on my desktop. Even when I am sitting in bed reading web pages, I have the screen facing me and just use the touchscreen for everything -- I just hate reaching across a keyboard so it is underneath or used to help prop the screen in front of me.

I am sure I can get $1000 for the SB1, as it is still in mint condition. Plus, I have $500 that the wife doesn't know about. While I could come up with more, that means talking with her about it [READ: Nagging, nagging and more nagging]. That's where the $1500 limit comes from. I can do more... just would rather not.

4. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe @Charles P. Jefferies is right,
    Gtx1050 isnt worht even medium settings, go for seprate tablet and laptop, and maybe push budget to 1700$, and you'll get the best!

5. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Edit: take a look at this
    http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gf72vr-650.html
    1400$, i7 7700hq,gtx 1060 6gb, and a freaking 17.3 inch 120hz laptop,
    AND! With those extra bucks saved, buy yourself a always on laptop, or maybe a tablet eh!??

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I hear you. I still think you're going to be rather limited if you want to game with a convertible PC. There just aren't a whole lot of options with a robust-enough GPU. The Surface Book 2 or the Asus I pointed out seem to be the two best candidates so far.
    One other convertible with a dedicated GPU that I thought of is the Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga. However its Quadro M500 GPU isn't all that great for gaming.

Charles

7. LordDavon

Reputations:
    I've been talking to the wife, which I swore I wouldn't do, and she thinks I should just save up for the Surface Book 2. While I really love my Surface Book, I hate removing the tablet just to turn it around though.

The Acer Nitro Spin 5, after much research, may have some hacks that fix the bottlenecks. Since it has a 1050, it may be good enough. At $1000, it is less than half the price of the Surface Book 2.

I've also just been thinking about giving up on the convertible idea. I'm spending some time with the Surface Book using it like a standard laptop while gaming. Unfortunately, most of the laptops I'm finding that aren't convertible are fairly bulky and heavy.

At this point, I may just wait and see what comes out in March, wait for reviews and just try and pick the right one. Or, I may just get the Acer on my credit card and see if that will work, since I've already got $1000 room on one, and see if that can hold me off until the summer.

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    Yeah. Take your time and arrive at the right conclusion, especially if you're not in dire need of a machine.

There are some good 14-inch gaming notebooks on the market if you want something with good power and portability. Gigabyte Aero 14, Razer Blade 14, MSI GS43VR. For modern gaming, I'd really try to get a GTX 1060 or better.

Charles

9. LordDavon

Reputations:
    Thank you Charles. I just looked at those. They are nice. Only 1 comes with a touchscreen and it was $2200 on Newegg.

Touchscreen is something that I require. I write point of sale software and the terminals use touchscreens.

I'm hoping that March brings some newer options for me.

10. LordDavon

Reputations:
    Just wanted to inform everyone that I went with the 15” Surface Book 2 with the GTX 1060. Thank you for all the help.