gaming laptop mainly for fps games

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by flindal, Feb 1, 2019.

1. flindal

flindal Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

1) What is your budget?
    around 2000-2500 $ but its a bit hard to say, it seems to me you get a lot more hardware for your $'s in the states and have a way larger product range, than I do in Denmark

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Denmark

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: asus, msi
    b. Dislike: medion, maybe 10 years ago I was warned not to buy acer, but are their product quality better now?

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? no

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    gaming, browsing many tabs 25-50+, streaming twitch, youtube, netflix, hbo etc.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    It will rarely leave the bunker

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    mainly DayZ atm, maybe some pubg, call of duty etc. in the future

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    5 minutes, just enough to get from one power outlet to another

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    no

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.,
    it doesn't matter, whatever it comes with will be 'nuked' along with the bloat/crapware that's on the drive and I'll install win 10 pro

Screen Specifics
    12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080 or higher

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I like the sound of Glossy, but it doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design
    14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    as with other things in life, its what's inside that matters, but I wont turn good looks down

Notebook Components
    15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I don't need a hard drive

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    early this year, I hope the introduction of the rtx 20xx series will see a drop in prices for older models

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    depends on specs and requirements of future games, maybe 5 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    not long

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    no
    ==========

I'll upgrade my laptop in the future, the only really important specs for me are those, which can't be upgraded.

need 2 have:
    cpu i7 8750h or higher
    gpu gtx 1070 or higher
    supported ram 32 gb or higher
    screen 17+ , 120+ Hz and fast response time
    good cooling

nice 2 have:
    disc sockets; 2 m.2 for raid and at least 1 for hdd storage

thunderbolt, its my understanding, that it can be used to connect an external gpu or other hardware with this?

g-sync, my current laptop doesn't have it, but reading about it, it sounds like its the best thing since sliced bread for gaming, so I'ld like to try it. I also read that optimus induces lag:
    "Having Optimus induces a 8 - 10 ms of display time, which is a lag. It kills half of the power of a GPU "
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/all-laptops-with-a-mux-switch.813459/
    I also read that with 144 hz monitors you don't really need g-sync, this arguments seems strange to me, but that might just be because I don't really know how it works?

I've been looking at the asus strix scar 1 and 2, from the buying options I have its either:
    1 i7 8750h gtx 1070 g-sync
    2 i7 8750h rtx 2070 but no g-sync
    none of them has 2 m.2 sockets or thunderbolt afaik?
    I also read a review which stated one should undervolt the cpu on the scar 1 for better performance and that it has heating issues?

If only the scar 2 had g-sync it would be so easy to just buy it :(

I have also looked at the acer Predator Helios 500, which has everything but the 'right' brand name.
    Its 'on sale' now but will probably be again when the rtx starts being released, but I'm strongly leaning towards giving acer a chance?
    https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/p...edator-helios-500-17-3-barbar-gaming-computer

I consider myself fairly experienced with computers, I can disassemble all and most of them I can put back together again without having screws and parts to spare :)

Thanks in advance
    Brgds
    Thomas