Gaming Laptop Guide - Pascal Edition

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Galm, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    If you're planning on carrying that around it's probably a bad idea for a student... Those are way larger than most people will have.

I'd probably do the AW, the Clevo needs work done on it.

2. unexpectedturn

unexpectedturn Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much. I'm not planning to carry it too much. Plus this, I have an Asus home, good enough to do projects, essays and carrying with me. I want it for playing games when I have free time. I would buy a desktop (I had before and I'd love it) but there is no space for it. May I ask if you have any others opinions for gaming laptop around 2500£ ? I mean, better than AW. Regards.

3. Galm

Reputations:
    Nah the AW is good.

4. Pallab

Pallab Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nothing comes even close to alienware in terms of build quality. Sure you can get desktop level cpu and mxm cards with clevo, but the octane iv is basically the p775tm1 series which i must say has a very crappy build quality, also the heatsink is not good enough to cool a 8700k processor. If you want the k series you should go with with p870tm1 series. if you want the octane get the i5 8400. Even after that i dont think the 775 chassis would last beyond 4 years, but with proper repasting and delidding, the alienware can easily cross 10 years.

5. Pallab

Reputations:
    You can consider this
    http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p870tm1-dual-gtx-1080.html
    for 2500£ that is 3450$ you can get 8700k, gtx 1080, 16gb, 4k AUO gsync panel, 1tb hdd, win 10 pro. Also the processor is factory delidded and overclocked to 4.8ghz.
    The build quality of this is on par with alienware.

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Alienware is BGA. It's bare die. And there have been a lot of problems with the Alienware's last years. MB replacement is pretty known. Good build chassis can't make up for the internals. My older Clevo is from 2010.... Work as day one. My Alienware 17 from 2013 is on the 3rd MB.

Mr. Fox, SkidrowSKT, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  7. unexpectedturn

unexpectedturn Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for all your opinions. Obviously I'm not so good in terms of hardware and that's why I asked you. I don't want to spend almost 3000£ without some research. In term of temps, I heard a lot of problems with either Clevo and AW. Some are saying about the new CPU heating problems (eight generation), others about the GPU 1080 , But I found that are just a few people with really bad heating problems. Anyway, I'm planning to buy a cooling stand if that would help and I'm not a fan of overclocking (so this should help not to make it too hot). Octane IV is not available until next month, so I have a bit of time to decide what to buy.
    Pallab, I will look more closely to what you send.
    Thank you !

-Some people are saying that GTX 1070, with 7820K keeps the heat down and making a good performance. What do you think about that? (I think that will be a step back for my new laptop. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

8. Galm

Reputations:
    Honestly a better option would be an msi GT73 or something. If you aren't importing something from HID both AW and Clevo optimally need work done.

Also ordering from HID will require a global warranty which will make it more expensive though if your budget can increase may be worth it.

9. Pallab

Reputations:
    or you can skip the global warranty, though you might face 7-10% import duty in your country. which country are u in? @unexpectedturn
    GT73 has a newer model with mecha keyboard, GT75

10. Pallab

Reputations:
    dont go with 1070, pascal is already at end of life. and gpu's are not the main culprit for the heat..its the cpu mainly