]]>

Gaming Laptop Guide - Pascal Edition

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Galm, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I dont think I mentioned what number of lanes but I'll add it in if it isnt fixed shortly.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lenovo Y720 Review - Their Cheapest Gaming Laptop with a GTX 1060!

And, let's not forget that historically Lenovo has been caught many times spying on customers:

Lenovo collects usage data on ThinkPad, ThinkCentre and ThinkStation PCs
    https://www.computerworld.com/artic...hinkpad-thinkcentre-and-thinkstation-pcs.html

It's not just Chinese laptops and smartphones hardware and software security issues, now it's drones...

US Army calls for units to discontinue use of DJI equipment
    https://www.suasnews.com/2017/08/us-army-calls-units-discontinue-use-dji-equipment/

Interesting, backstory related to Lenovo sales:

Lenovo thought PC salesfolk could sell servers and was wrong by about $500m
    'Over-integration' saw x86 server business fail to launch
    By Simon Sharwood, APAC Editor 16 Aug 2017 at 06:30
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/16/lenovo_server_sales_slowdown_back_story/

"Today the company told El Reg the sales dip can be attributed to “over-integration” with its existing sales teams."

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Galm likes this.
  3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Galm and hmscott like this.
  4. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Terrible company from a terrible country... they are banned at our Navy base now.

hmscott likes this.
  5. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The GE63VR with the GTX 1060/1070 may be a new contender to add within the under 1500/2000$ category. Everything's improved from the Apache line-up: build quality, extra cooling, lighter chassis, 4 "giant" speakers, faster 120Hz screen (for the 15") and an extra M2 slot.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

4004 likes this.
  6. Galm

Reputations:
    Yeah it can compete much better with the P650 than the GE62 ever did. It isn't on the list yet... There's some stuff I've been debating doing with it so I've been holding off adding anything new for a little while. Luckily for the most part Max Q is the only other real new stuff, and it's irrelevant besides for the portable category.

7. 4004

4004 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And you've got the new/semi-new Asus stuff as well. Doubt there will be much change before we get CL/Volta

hmscott likes this.
  8. mebcitadel

mebcitadel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/475582/Predator_17_GX-792-7448_173_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

http://www.microcenter.com/product/479019/GT73VR_TITAN_PRO-693_173_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Is there any reason to get the MSI over the Acer?

Is there any better laptop for the same money? ($2,200ish)

Can I take the HDD out and add a second SSD, or can I upgrade the GPU when Volta comes out?

Sorry, I don't know a ton about laptops but these two seem to be the best for the money. Going to be gaming on the laptop screen and hooking it up to TVs.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Galm

Reputations:
    The MSI is not a tough on the outside, but is seriously better cooled. And has a nice keyboard to that a lot of people like.

The MSI could possibly upgrade the gpu, the Acer has no chance. But it's not for sure on the MSI by any means.

The MSI has plenty of storage slots I think 4 total with 2 m.2 and 2 2.5", and the Acer has replaceable slots but both are already full.

The MSI has better cpu cooling in particular but the gpu as well because it can handle two 1070s in the same chassis.

I'd go with the GT73. Also if you use headphones it has a Sabre dac in the headphone jack.

hmscott likes this.
  10. mebcitadel

mebcitadel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow thank you so much.

And I actually forgot, what are the absolute best headphones/microphone combo I can get for gaming and music? I really don't want a receiver for them.