Gaming Laptop Guide - Pascal Edition

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Galm, Oct 10, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Correction, it's *slow rubbish* ;)

Forcing a 1080, 1070, or 1060 into a neutered role in a small box, and claiming it's required to get the best cooling for better noise control, is like packing an Elephant into a Peanut bag to get better fuel consumption.

It makes no sense. :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Falkentyne likes this.
  2. Guvernator

Guvernator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Like I said the Zephyr might not perform to full 1080 specs but it certainly seems to perform better than nearly all other laptops it's size. 10%-15% above 1070 performance in such a small package is no mean feat. OK the solution might not be 100% ideal but it's the best someone's come up with so far.

Yes in an ideal world we'd get full 1080 performance in a small laptop but the fact that no one has managed to do that yet seems to suggest that's easier said than done or are we suggesting that somehow the laptop manufacturers have a conspiracy to not do that on purpose? ;)

hmscott likes this.
  3. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    10-15% above 1070 would be fine if it was 10-15% pricier than 1070. Isn't the cost similar to a full 1080?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    If no one buy it or very low sales of it... The ODM/OEMs have to rethink the idea pushing out crippled performance for premium prices. Nvidia will as well loose money and we can start all over again... With normal graphics!! Not graphics who is power gimped but selling for same high prices. To the better for all.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Falkentyne likes this.
  5. Guvernator

Reputations:
    Yes in an ideal world it would only be 10-15% pricier but we all know the real world doesn't work like that. You aren't just paying that premium for the extra performance, you are also paying for the slim, sexy design.

Hell Apple have been getting away with massively overcharging for substandard performance for years, purely based on the fact that their laptops look like the sexiest mofo's on the planet.

I'm not saying the Zephyr is the best laptop ever made but it gets a lot right in a design that has a hell of a lot of visual appeal so I'm not surprised by the price at all. Yes you can get better performance out of a Clevo at a lower price but just look at the size and (lack of) aesthetics of them, they are about as sexy as a toaster.

6. Papusan

Reputations:
    And Apple already use Max-Q graphics designed cards instead of normal graphics?

Maybe ODM/Oems will make all next years laptop models more appealing and demands TI prices when Volta and 2080 is coming? Every single model is nicer and then they will demanding much higher prices due better and prettier design. You pay for nicer design. Not performance. Aka New criteria.

7. Guvernator

Reputations:
    It doesn't have to be one or the other, there is a market for both categories. Some people don't care at all about whether their laptop looks like it's made from cheap recycled black plastic, is the size of a small house or makes the noise of a jumbo jet taking off as long as it smashes those 3dmark scores out the park and hits 120fps on every game without breaking a sweat at a cool 50 degrees and that is absolutely fine.

Other people might want to actually carry their laptops around, or not want their laptop to look like it was designed by a 13 year old whose watched too many Transformer movies. They might be looking at the oh so sexy Apple laptops and thinking, wow I wish someone would make a laptop that looks like that but actually has some decent performance to back up the sexy looks. Yes the first few attempts at doing thin, light and powerful haven't exactly been a roaring success (I'm looking at you Razer) but I think they are slowly getting there.

I'd argue that from an engineering viewpoint it's a lot harder to make a small thin laptop that has decent performance than it is to shove a load of top of the line components into a laptop the size and weight of a bus and make it perform really well. Just surprised at the negativity on here sometimes, I think manufacturers should be applauded for trying to break the mold a bit when it comes to gaming\performance laptops.

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    I put it here!! From Review of Aw17R4 with unlocked Kaby. Everything getting worse and worse if you don't opt for high performance!!

9. Trippn

Trippn Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for clarification.

as far as the Clevo models go; pretty set on the one you have purchased. Is there any particularly worthy reason the Sager NP9153 goes for more than the NP8157 though?

10. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Nope. That makes no sense. Where do you see that? It's literally the older version so that's a rip off.