Gaming Laptop Guide - Pascal Edition

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Galm, Oct 10, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Max-Q = "Sucker bait"

I wouldn't be surprised to see the term "Max-Q" turn into a synonym for sucker.

"Hey, Max-Q, buddy, have I got deal for you..."

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    That was the point of my entire article xD

I don't mind the whole concept, but I wish it was more clear, and that it didn't cost that much.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Guvernator

Guvernator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I love the cynicism on here sometimes. Different people have different requirements for a laptop. Not everyone wants to lug around a behemoth, some of the so called gaming laptops are huge and unacceptable for a so called portable device IMO. Fine if that's what you want but then you could argue you'd be better off just buying a desktop.

I already have an decent spec desktop so my laptop has to be portable. Sure things like the Zephyr aren't going to give you full 1080 performance or be as quiet or cool as something twice it's size but for it's size I think it actually performs really well and is up there with some of the best. My only reservation would be the rubbish battery as that sort of undoes some of the hard work of making it so portable but they'll probably fix that in the next iteration.

I'm just surprised at all the negativity around the Max-Q, I personally think it's brilliant that they've started to give some serious consideration to the small, thin and powerful end of the spectrum which is actually a huge market. Yeah you pay a premium but sometimes you have to pay to play. People pay silly money for Apple laptops, not because they are the best, most powerful but because they are small, thin and light. I for one am glad people are making efforts to crack that nut for a gaming laptop.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's funny, I had just posted a cute "deleted scene" done by the "Guvernator", so I read your whole post in the voice of "Sergent Candy" :)

Papusan and Guvernator like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    None should be happy paying fully premium for crippled performance. Ain't powerful if the hardware is crippled!!

hmscott likes this.
  6. Guvernator

Reputations:
    Lol I've never seen that scene. In my defense I've had that username for years even before Arnie as it's sort of a play on my surname so if anything, he stole it from me. :D

dspboys and hmscott like this.
  7. Guvernator

Reputations:
    It's only crippled if you compare it to a full sized desktop replacement with a proper 1080. If you flip it around and consider it as one of the most powerful ultra portable laptops you can buy it makes more sense. Sometimes people are too obsessed with raw numbers on here and don't appreciate that other factors like size, portability and heaven forbid even styling come into the equation when you are talking about laptops.

It's almost like a game of reverse snobbery, if your laptop doesn't outperform a supercomputer and have the size and weight of a small car it's not deemed worthy. I'm an adult and I'd be embarrassed to carry around most of the full size gaming laptops usually recommended on here tbh as well as probably needing to visit a doctor for my dislocated shoulder after a few weeks. ;)

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Only crippled if you compare with the Normal models? Same as buying newest HEDT from Intel and getting mainstream. A terrible deal if you ask me. A very terrible deal!! Same as I pay same price for exactly same new car as my neighbor. Everything similar but with less HP. I wouldn't accept it!

hmscott likes this.
  9. Guvernator

Reputations:
    Well that's the price you pay for it being small and light. I'm into cars too where we often use a measure called power to weight ratio which basically means you divide the total power of the car by it's weight. It's a neat way to solve the tricky problem of comparing cars of different power outputs and weights to compare a small light car with less power or a big heavy car with lots of power and it's surprising how often using that measurement smaller lighter cars end up better off.

Not totally applicable to laptops of course but it's just to illustrate that smaller laptops obviously have a restriction in size so it's not really fair to compare them to something which is twice as big and say oh look it's not as quick so it must be rubbish.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Here home is prices thigh on how much Horsepower the car is delivered with. Buy less HP, pay less. Same as pay more for newest Intel HEDT processors vs. mainstream. Or opposite if you buy the less powerful mainstream cpu. You pay less. Quite simple.

hmscott likes this.