]]>

Gaming Laptop Guide - Pascal Edition

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Galm, Oct 10, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's funny, I had just posted a cute "deleted scene" done by the "Guvernator", so I read your whole post in the voice of "Sergent Candy" :)

Papusan and Guvernator like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    None should be happy paying fully premium for crippled performance. Ain't powerful if the hardware is crippled!!

hmscott likes this.
  3. Guvernator

Guvernator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol I've never seen that scene. In my defense I've had that username for years even before Arnie as it's sort of a play on my surname so if anything, he stole it from me. :D

temp00876 and hmscott like this.
  4. Guvernator

Reputations:
    It's only crippled if you compare it to a full sized desktop replacement with a proper 1080. If you flip it around and consider it as one of the most powerful ultra portable laptops you can buy it makes more sense. Sometimes people are too obsessed with raw numbers on here and don't appreciate that other factors like size, portability and heaven forbid even styling come into the equation when you are talking about laptops.

It's almost like a game of reverse snobbery, if your laptop doesn't outperform a supercomputer and have the size and weight of a small car it's not deemed worthy. I'm an adult and I'd be embarrassed to carry around most of the full size gaming laptops usually recommended on here tbh as well as probably needing to visit a doctor for my dislocated shoulder after a few weeks. ;)

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Only crippled if you compare with the Normal models? Same as buying newest HEDT from Intel and getting mainstream. A terrible deal if you ask me. A very terrible deal!! Same as I pay same price for exactly same new car as my neighbor. Everything similar but with less HP. I wouldn't accept it!

hmscott likes this.
  6. Guvernator

Reputations:
    Well that's the price you pay for it being small and light. I'm into cars too where we often use a measure called power to weight ratio which basically means you divide the total power of the car by it's weight. It's a neat way to solve the tricky problem of comparing cars of different power outputs and weights to compare a small light car with less power or a big heavy car with lots of power and it's surprising how often using that measurement smaller lighter cars end up better off.

Not totally applicable to laptops of course but it's just to illustrate that smaller laptops obviously have a restriction in size so it's not really fair to compare them to something which is twice as big and say oh look it's not as quick so it must be rubbish.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Here home is prices thigh on how much Horsepower the car is delivered with. Buy less HP, pay less. Same as pay more for newest Intel HEDT processors vs. mainstream. Or opposite if you buy the less powerful mainstream cpu. You pay less. Quite simple.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Correction, it's *slow rubbish* ;)

Forcing a 1080, 1070, or 1060 into a neutered role in a small box, and claiming it's required to get the best cooling for better noise control, is like packing an Elephant into a Peanut bag to get better fuel consumption.

It makes no sense. :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Falkentyne likes this.
  9. Guvernator

Reputations:
    Like I said the Zephyr might not perform to full 1080 specs but it certainly seems to perform better than nearly all other laptops it's size. 10%-15% above 1070 performance in such a small package is no mean feat. OK the solution might not be 100% ideal but it's the best someone's come up with so far.

Yes in an ideal world we'd get full 1080 performance in a small laptop but the fact that no one has managed to do that yet seems to suggest that's easier said than done or are we suggesting that somehow the laptop manufacturers have a conspiracy to not do that on purpose? ;)

hmscott likes this.
  10. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    10-15% above 1070 would be fine if it was 10-15% pricier than 1070. Isn't the cost similar to a full 1080?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk