Gaming Laptop Guide - Pascal Edition

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Galm, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    By that I meant, a company switching ownership mid military purchase would be more likely to need to be redone by the military (because of their much higher than normal security needs).

Anway, my final point is just that I consider it a major waste of time to go through all these pages. I consider most of them just junk. If it's not on the first couple pages, you'll basically get faster responses just posting a question. Most of this is random system comparisons and questions asked about one model or another you mind as well just ask yourself with the form and your specific context in mind.

Feel free to comment on here for answers, but I wouldn't recommend reading through it as a good use of time.

As for alternatives... Anything in the guide... Dell Inspiron, Clevo N850, HP Omen 15, MSI GL/GP series... etc...

Dr. AMK, hmscott and win32asmguy like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If my country's military is rejecting equipment due to security reasons, I'm not interested in supporting that company financially, whether it affects my security or not - of course it does, so those are 2 strikes against Lenovo.

In other words, if my military, government security infrastructure - the guys and gals with the ability to track and defend against electronic intrusion, and all the things that go along with that, don't want a piece of hardware from a company they don't trust inside their infrastructure, then I accept and adopt their conclusion.

Security is security, I need to have trust in my hardware and software the same as anyone. The fact that Lenovo has been caught by run of the mill average people also messing with their OS from the hardware tells me that Lenovo is taking a wide view of gathering data, hoping they come across some data they can use.

It doesn't have to be my data, it might be that I am next door, on the same LAN / WAN as one of their targets of interest, and my compromised Lenovo hardware could be used as a intermediary step to access it.

You aren't thinking broadly enough. Think of botnets, taking otherwise innocent run of the mill people's computers and putting them to a task those people would never think of in a million years, yet their "insignificant" insecure system has now become a part of that task.

Knowing my military, or government security infrastructure is concerned with being compromised by Lenovo hardware - blacklisted / banned it's use - coupled with the reports of every day users being compromised - is enough for me to not want to fund or use Lenovo hardware. Why would they change? What is different months later?

Certainly you must understand, after more careful and wide reaching thought what I am driving at here. It's just not worth the risk to use Lenovo hardware.

If IBM were bought by HP, or Dell, or another trusted company - even an overseas company - there wouldn't have been the huge dance to change hardware.

If you read the articles the military (not just the Navy) were concerned about remote access diagnostics being used to gain access to installed hardware - Aegis shipboard - as software / hardware service still needs to be done.

It wasn't so much the current hardware all of a sudden turning into pumpkin's :)
    I don't think you can possibly believe that @Galm, I'm a bit shocked at that comment.

The real value of these sites with technical information is that it's there for future use. I am googling all the time for older hardware and software that I need feedback info about.

And, these interactions, asking and answering questions are immediately valuable to a new person just coming in cold for the first time.

Even seeing how to compare, what to look for as important differences, learning how to ask and answer, each item to someone will be important sometime in the future.

That's why I always try to answer in full, with links, images, video, so that there is as full an accounting of the information available I can find at the time in the answer.

They can search the thread, read through the thread as they have time, and it helps build and focus their enthusiasm.

Most basic questions about a device or software get asked a zillion times over, and answers rarely change - if they are correct - and finding the earlier answers to questions offloads the thread from repeats.

That's why most threads are closed eventually, but not deleted, the information there is priceless.

Of course there is filler or less interesting material to everyone that skims any thread, either it's too basic or too advanced, but reading through that stuff will give anyone tidbits of value - and that's what it's all about - finding the gems among the dross.

It makes no sense to focus on the dross, and poo poo the idea of fully going through a thread, there is always something for newbies and experts alike in any thread here on NBR :)
    Ok :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Bit of a logical fallacy. I'm not saying you're wrong in the case of Lenovo. But like I was saying, the military has much more important security needs than the average person. If the Clevo P650RS was Lenovo branded, I probably would buy it. Those security concerns don't affect me in particular as I use my gaming notebook for essentially nothing important.

HP and Dell are both headquartered in the U.S. We have more control over them than Beijing based Lenovo so I don't follow that argument. Acer would make more sense, but still isn't Chinese, they're the more friendly (to the U.S.) Taiwanese.

Sounds a bit naive. Most of the internet, and most of this site it junk. That's true of like everything. There is a small sliver of every site (and I believe this site's is larger than most) that are really helpful.

I never said threads should be deleted, that would be a big mistake. Threads are locked mostly to stop older things from being rezzed. It's not a hard limit either it can be easily removed (like I'll probably request on this guide if I never make a new thread but keep it updated).

There are plenty of threads worth reading. I think the BGA venting thread is even quite an interesting read. But this thread is focused on people with specific questions, and less so general ones or deeply informing topics. It's mostly basic questions. Jumping around to random pages right now, I don't see much worth reading if I was a new user that had a specific budget and use case in mind already. Might as well just ask a question.

As for enthusiasm, I find that builds from having a good experience with one thing first. I obviously can't speak for everybody, but the few people I know IRL that use this forum (myself included) got interested from the owner's lounge of their own machine. It's hard to jump into being interested in every laptop, but starting with the one sitting at your desk is much easier.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    Dr. AMK and hmscott like this.
  4. Aonarch

Aonarch Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Solid guide

hmscott and Galm like this.
  5. Johnlinc

Johnlinc Newbie

Reputations:
    This is an awesome guide, was helped a lot by it. Thanks for it have registered12345 and understood everything

Galm likes this.