Gaming Laptop Guide - Pascal Edition

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Galm, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And to add some info about the Tornado F5/Fangbook Xtreme 4 there is a 1080 upgrade in the pipe line (albeit it seems it will be running at 150watts). And future support for Kaby Lake CPU upgrades is coming as well. It's a great machine (not because it's not LGA, but that is a plus), but because of it's LCD upgrades (120hz is coming) and longevity with upgrades should allow it to last it's owner a long time.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's a good argument when picking a desktop CPU for a desktop, but IMHO not a good argument for 99.9999% of laptop users.

The laptop CPU's are working fine in laptops, most people don't need the burden of a desktop CPU power and cooling in their laptop.

The 6820HK OC reaches into the 6700K realm far enough to help most of the other .0001% reach their performance needs over the 6700HQ.

To step into the performance over 4.0ghz given by the 6700K isn't needed, the cost in power and cooling and noise at higher power is undesireable for most of us as well.

3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Yeah I know. Personally I'm a huge fan of that machine. I just wish Eurocom priced their ram and storage at real prices.

Diversion and hmscott like this.
  4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well owning a LGA machine although not exactly ideal for 99% of the populace looking for laptops at least lessens the burden of reselling and buying new all the time for people like myself who would normally swap a machine yearly or every 2 years. So far if things pan out for my F5, i'll be keeping it an upwards of 4 years now.

ole!!! likes this.
  5. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed.. but it's also pretty decently easy (except for getting to the two memory slots that require lifting the motherboard completely out) to upgrade the storage/ram, pretty much always recommended to just stick to the 8gb included with the F5 and doing the rest yourself to save money.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    To be fair, the cpu should not play a major part of that. A 7700k isn't going to make your 6700k irrelevant. The MXM gpu is far more important imo.

That's what I recommend, some users are too scurred to do it though. It'd just be easier if they didn't charge so much for no reason I can see. GenTech has reasonable prices in Canada, why can't Eurocom.

Diversion and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sure, but the way the "League of BGA Assassin's" overstate the worth of desktop LGA in a laptop you'd think everyone *must* have one :)

I realize the .0001% is me too, it's the rest of the 99.9999% that have to waste their time paging through that constant diatribe I am speaking of.

And, that's what @Galm would like to see minimized in this thread :)

Galm likes this.
  8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're right, the 7700K isn't worth going after in the grand scheme of things unless you opted for perhaps the 6700T/6700 or other lower wattage CPUs when you originally ordered the F5. Partially why I went for the 6700K, I can undervolt and be a 6700/6700T and anything else in the line up.. I can also be a 6700HQ by downclocking to 3.1ghz and also equally pull the same exact wattage as the 6700HQ. The versatility is why I love having LGA and the 6700K. Although that's not what most people care about (being able to have a huge range of play room with the CPU).

hmscott likes this.
  9. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with you, i'm not in this thread advocating getting LGA over BGA.. Personally I could care less, I care more about people being happy with their purchase whether BGA or LGA.. And having personally owned and loving many BGA machines, i'd hope everyone realizes i'm not here to crap all over people's dreams :) I can however, comment on the GT62 and F5 having owned both and I think both are great choices in the Pascal GPU segment.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Maybe *x49 multiplier and 1.264V* tempt?:) Remember the upgradeability:)
    [​IMG]

http://hothardware.com/news/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-overclocked-to-49ghz#F6Vx2IcA7HO8Tbre.99

ole!!!, Diversion and hmscott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.