Gaming Laptop Guide - Pascal Edition

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Galm, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for this guide, Galm, it is very helpful. What's your take on how the Aorus X3 V6 will compare thermally (better or worse?) to the Aero 14? From looking at internals, it seems to me that both may utilize a 2 heatpipe (shared) system? If so, do you know if 3 heatpipes (say, found in 15 inch models) necessarily cool better?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Hard to tell right now. The X3 does okay but I dont know too much about the 1060 aeros yet.

CedricFP likes this.
  3. psybuster

psybuster Newbie

Reputations:
    Trying to make a decision before all the BF/CM sales are over, or if I should just pass and see if anything comes around Christmas time. Trying to decide between the P670RP6 linked in OP for $1250, P670RS-G for about $1650, or GT72VR with 1070 and 120Hz panel for $1700 or so.

Not too concerned with storage/RAM options, easy enough to add my own. Main points I'm trying to resolve are whether mobile G-Sync is worth it (if it's not then I think the RP6 config with 1060 will be plenty enough for me), how badly the 6700HQ may bottleneck a 1070, and how well overclocked LG Phillips 1080p panels in the P670 compare to the GT72VR 120Hz TN panel from a gaming only standpoint.

Only other model I'm considering is the Tornado F5 but it seems that the 17.3" display options are so much better than 15.6" that I don't think even an unlocked desktop processor would make up for it at this time.

Any advice you'd like to impart?

4. Galm

Reputations:
    A 6700HQ shouldn't be a mojor bottleneck at 1080p. It would be one at 120Hz, but not 60. The 1070 is a lot faster than a 1060, it will last longer.

The P650RS also has a much better DAC.

5. HCepero

HCepero Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking to get a new laptop as my old one has finally given up the ghost. I've been reading through this thread and I somewhat understand many of the point's that have been made but was hopping for a bit of clarification if possible.

I'm looking for good bang for my buck in the laptop I choose and my price range is about 2k. Please bare with me as I haven't built or bought a computer since 2008. I feel like I would lean toward the P65RS or the Alienware if I can get a good price on it.

However I have never owned a monitor with better than 1080P and 75hz refresh rate so I don't really know what I am missing with higher refresh rates and 4k. Would I really notice the difference and is it worth the additional power draw form the battery? I also don't fully understand the benefits of G-sync.
    Beyond that I don't fully understand the performance delta I would see in gaming with a desktop CPU over a mobile CPU.

It seems the Alienware is the better of the two if I am willing to repast it and carefully replace the cooling assembly. However, I might be wrong and I haven't seen it mentioned if the DAC in the Alienware is as good. My leaning toward the Alienware is mostly based on its build quality and durability having been rated so highly and its better battery life.

I tend to keep my electronics until they die outside of warranty and seeing as I can get 3+ year warranties now I will more than likely have the laptop I buy well in to the next 6-8 years.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If you are looking after 15 inches models http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nado-f5-owners-and-discussions-lounge.797128/

hmscott likes this.
  7. Galm

Reputations:
    The Alienware 15 is straight up horribly designed. It's a crapshoot if you'll get good temps. Repasting and undervolting will likely be needed and possibly an RMA. If you are fine with that it's a good machine. It's also definitely priced higher than the Clevo so try and get a good coupon.

The DAC on the Clevo is far better. I have very high end headphones, so the difference is easy to discern. If you don't (mine are well over 500 dollars) you may not care about this.

120Hz displays can now be ordered on the Clevo or AW and for gaming they are better. Everything will look smoother. GSync also works by stopping stuttering and tearing which makes the experience smoother and more enjoyable overall. Note it doesn't work at the monitors refresh rate, it's advised to cap just below that.

The desktop vs laptop cpu thing doesn't matter much at 60Hz. It's much more important at 120Hz where the cpu is more commonly a bottleneck. @Papusan will tell you all laptop cpus give you aids and are trash but it's not going to be an issue at 60Hz (at the moment at least). If your worried get an overclockable 6820hk (NOT on the AW 15 though it's very very hot). Or get a Eurocom Tornado F5 or Clevo P750DM. This may be a good idea if you want to keep it for 6-8 years.

hmscott likes this.
  8. HCepero

HCepero Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok I must have misunderstood the reviews of the Alienware then. My use of the laptop will mostly be connected to a plug but I would like for it to be able to manage gaming unplugged for more than 40 minutes if possible. Having looked at the Tornado and P750DM it seems I can manage to build the Tornado about 500 cheaper with the same specs save for the difference in DAC. Would I be better off getting ram and storage aftermarket? With both configured with 16 gigs of ram, 4k displays, I7 6700K's, coolab paste, and 3 year warranties the P750 cost 2611 but the Tornado cost 2129 after I apply a 10% student discount.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Galm

Reputations:
    Yes Eurocom's worst aspect is ram and storage pricing. The rest is awesome.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    "Overclockable 6820hk" Can this BGA give me minimum 4.5 GHz on all 4 cores with decent voltage and run flawlessly 24/7? Overclockable can be so many things:cool: And the processor can be used for much more than gaming. I don't think the majority would be happy with something like this 6820 in their desktop rig
    Talk wit @Diversion or @Talon about the Tornado. A lot of happy campers in the http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nado-f5-owners-and-discussions-lounge.797128/ thread:) If you go for the Clevo. Remember buy from a @Prema partner shop https://biosmods.wordpress.com/partner/ A mod firmware is a must.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.