Gaming laptop 2020?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Muyfa666, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got my HP Omen 17 today and have been running some tests...

The fan profiles I've used is "Standard" and "Performance". Running Firestrike with a cooldown period between. I'm having the back of the laptop slightly raised for better airflow (can't hurt).

Standard: CPU 91C / GPU 68C
    Performance: CPU 86C / GPU 63C
    Performance with UV (-150mV): CPU 75C / GPU 64C

About 19500 points on Firestrike no matter the profile or UV.

The fan noise is ok even of performance - totally possible to play without headphones (at least for short periods).

Repasting with Grizzly Kryonaut should make this laptop really cool inside.

I have three niggles thou...

1. There's a tendency to some high pitched fan noise. It's not horrible, but it's there.
    2. There's some backlight bleed quite noticeable from the middle down center on the screen.
    3. The enter key is non-standard and a bit cumersome to get used to.

Of these three niggles the fan whine is the biggest one for me. Not sure if I'm gonna keep it.

2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What kind of Clevo did you have?

3. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    It was a p870dm-g, gtx 1080 and 8700k cpu.

4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    19,500 is decent performance. But not really from a RTX2080. What is the graphics score? Look in to the 200TDP VBios for sure. Those guys were breaking 28,000-29,000 graphics scores with HP Omen 17’s.

tiliarou likes this.
  5. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow. This is just as fast or easily faster than the HP Omen.

You may be spinning your tires with laptop performance until Ampere comes out.

I get 21,500 Firestrike overall with my 15” Clevo P750TM1-G.

You’ve had a lot of cool laptops. Clevo P870? Alienware 51M?

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I think your GTX 2080 is underperforming as well. The Quadro RTX 4000 can get a 20k firestrike score @ 115W.

Is that high pitched noise actually coming from the fans or is it coil whine? Is it only at high or low loads?

The backlight bleed may be fixible if the shop that did your repaste takes the screen bezel off and checks if any of the mounting screws are overtightened.

I didn't see anything strange about the enter key but its the USA model so the Swedish one may be different?

7. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    I'll probably return it, so I do not dare to flash the 200TDP Vbios.

Are there any rumors on how long until we can expect Ampere in laptops?

Yes, I tried some high end laptops. None really made me quite happy yet thou.

The high pitch is from the fans on higher speeds, not coil whine.

As the unit was bought from a regular store and not a special retailer the chances of having the screen looked is not great. There are special consumers rules in Sweden which will let me return or exchange, but service is a bit more complicated. Also, this was the last unit of the seller, and they discontinued this laptop, so I won't get a replacement.

As for the keyboard, common swedish keyboards look like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/KB_Sweden.svg

This unit had a non-standard layout that has the special keys, but the layout looks more like a UK one.

8. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    It seems the seller may arrange home service for my unit.

Well, if they can fix the high pitch fan sound and the backlight bleed, I'm more than happy to endure the keyboard layout.

If they are removing the fans when I'm home, I'll have them use my Grizzly Kryonaut when replacing the thermal grease.

This could work out ok. I like the Omen in general and the CPU seem to undervolt really well. If they sort it out, I'll try the 200TDP Vbios too.

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    That would be nice if they can fix it.

In case they let you see the heatsink module I am curious if you got Foxconn or Sunon fans. From my own personal experience the Sunon's are much better noise-wise on the Dell models. I guess it could also be a VERY bad paste job or a warped heatsink, making the fans have to work harder than they need to.

Oh, did yours come with the 9880H or 9750H? HP had a sale around December last year where they were practically giving away the 9880H/RTX2080 model - it was about 1700 USD for a base config!

10. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    I have the 9750H. I know the 9880H is better, but the price difference was 800$ and I read the Omen have a hard time not throttling the 9880H anyway, so I figured 9750H is well enough. I play mostly GPU-intense games and the 9750H is no slouch by itself.

If I get the chance, I'll check out what brand of fans is in it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020