Gaming - dv6tqe/dv7tqe

Discussion in 'HP' started by Bag3l, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taxmantoo

taxmantoo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Integrated graphics would be the place for memory upgrades to shine. But can the CPU really utilize the speed, or did it just show an improvement from extra GB?

Intel specs the 2520m and 2630qm for 1066 and 1333mhz memory, they don't claim that either one can control memory at 1600 or higher.

Intel® Core? i5-2520M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz)with SPEC Code(s)SR048

Intel® Core? i7-2630QM Processor (6M Cache, 2.00 GHz)with SPEC Code(s)SR02Y

IIRC, my memory WEI went from 7.3 to 7.6 when I upgraded a dv7 from 6GB to 8GB. I think WEI just gives you 3 tenths for the extra 2GB.

2. speedking261

speedking261 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yikes! No offense, but I hope you are wrong ;)

Yeah I think I will run some FPS test on my HDTV. I'm expecting more like a ~30% drop.

Update:
    I played Crysis 2 on my HDTV o test this out. When I play on 1366x768 on Very High I get about ~25 minimum FPS, but on 1920x1080 I get about 15 minimum FPS. Even on High (the lowest setting)the AVG FPS is still less than 30. I'm starting to rethink swapping out the screens.

3. snorggy

snorggy Newbie

Reputations:
    I thought this might be useful for anyone else banging their head against the wall looking for a solution to the screen tearing you might be experiencing in some games with this laptop and the radeon 6770m card... in catalyst turn your anti-aliasing mode to super-sample aa...

not sure how or why that did the trick, but my games run smooth as butter now!

4. SHASHANK_BEST

SHASHANK_BEST Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How is 6770M as compared to NVIDIA 540M(XPS 15) and 555M (XPS 17) ??

And if we compare 6770M ( 1gb ) vs 555M ( 3 GB) ?
    And what about optimus vs switchable graphics on NVIDIA ??

5. fiveoneooo

fiveoneooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 6770 is about 25-30% better than the 540m and about 5-7% better than the 555m, I dont think the 3GB really makes much different.

The optimus switches more smoothly than ATI switching, but you can manually switch the ATI and the optimus pretty much decides whether it wants to or not depending on what your doing. You can force certain programs to run on either graphics card with optimus. IMO I think the ATI is a little better even though when you switch the screen goes black for a sec, I like the ability to switch it on and off as I please without having to access a bunch of menus and all that.

6. cotton_mouth

cotton_mouth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    nope. doesn't work for me. anyway for now, the screen tearing only happens when i play crysis 2. and the screen tearing will continue to happen even after exiting the game. it only ends if i switch the graphics to Intel and then switch them back to ATI.

7. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do they play to make something like optimus for our lapop? Or it will need some hardware changes?

And how does this work on mac? They also have intel 3000 + ati 6*** and have switch.

8. fiveoneooo

fiveoneooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dont know if they are going to make something like optimus for our comps. I suspect it would only need a driver change and not a hardware change but I am not sure exactly.

I have no idea how it works on a mac, someone with mac experience is going to have to chime in on that one.

9. edft56

edft56 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Only i7-2720QM or higher support 1600MHz Ram.

10. JunkStory

JunkStory Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Indeed Intel specs state that, but some i5 sandy bridge owners confirmed that their chips can indeed run DDR3 1600Mhz and 1866Mhz memory at those speeds. It is suspected that the JEDEC certification came after production, so Intel couldn't list it in the specs officially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.