Gaming/dev laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by chuck farlie, Jul 11, 2018.

1. chuck farlie

chuck farlie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?

~$1700 US, more the longer I wait. After a couple years it would be 2 grand.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I really could use some advice here, I haven't checked up on the different brands in a long time. My Sager d900c has lasted me 7+ years (albeit with a video card replacement) and I would like one that lasts as long as possible and has a replaceable video card (unless that just isn't done anymore). Is Sager still a decent brand?
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Maybe redistributed if it met my requirements.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming, coding and blender. I would like two SSD drives (one for windows, one for linux). Also I would want the video card to be geared towards gaming and not 3d development (dunno if they still develop cards specifically for that).

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

It will mostly be sitting in one place, but I will take it back and forth in a car. Size and weight doesn't really matter.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes, mostly 3d intensive games. FPS's, MMOs, etc. Blender as well.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Battery life is not important. At all.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

I want both Windows 10 and Linux. One SSD for each, with (if possible) a larger storage drive. I could go with windows 7 if it was cheaper without an OS though.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

Highest resolution possible.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Either is fine but I am used to glossy.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Well I would like for it to look nice but if there is an uglier model that is a better build I would prefer it.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

When my d900c goes out. So anytime from now to who knows? I will wait as long as possible though.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

As long as possible. Do video cards still burn out first in laptops? Only thing I ever had problems with on my d900c was the video card. Which (if they still do) is why I would like a replaceable card (if possible).

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

Two SSD drives would be nice, and one storage drive would be good.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

Optical drive would be nice as well, although it is not required.
    -----------------------
    Thanks for the help!

2. chuck farlie

chuck farlie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, I looked around a bit and will probably be ordering a P775TM1 with a couple of SSD's from HIDevolution whenever my laptop goes out. Unless someone has a better suggestion.